Sketch submissions

Does anyone know the best production companies or shows that accepts individual sketches from writers, other than the BBC?

Does the BBC?

My tutor on my writing course suggested writing a number of sketches in a particular format and sending to the production company that make that particular show. He suggested that any show with six or more writers credited will probably accept submissions. I have no proof that this works or is even true and I've never tried.

If you mean open submissions for sketches I think you've got your work cut out. Most submissions require that you write in a particular style or on a particular theme. To get your own sketch show commissioned is, in my opinion, harder than getting a sitcom commissioned, especially for a first-time writer.

Hope this is of some help

Dan

No production companies will think wow if you send them a normal sketch, they will just send it you back or dump it they aren't normally intrested unless its for a particular competition, submission etc etc.

but if you want to try, your best going for topical humour that "sells".

And I'm starting to put a sketch show together... is it really that hard to get people to take it seriously swerytd?

PS for the 6 writers thing I don't think thats true but I suppose anything is possible, I won't argue it

Hi Paul

Quote: paul watson @ January 12, 2007, 7:11 PM

And I'm starting to put a sketch show together... is it really that hard to get people to take it seriously swerytd?

Just my opinion, Paul. I've never tried so can't testify to anything! Best of luck for yours. I've got some characters for recurring sketches that I'm putting together (ve-ee-ee-rry slowly), but the sitcom is getting submitted first!

Quote: paul watson @ January 12, 2007, 7:11 PM

PS for the 6 writers thing I don't think thats true but I suppose anything is possible, I won't argue it

Just what I was told from someone who has had a modicum of comedy-writing success over the years. Nothing major, but certainly better placed than me to comment!

Dan