Offensive jokes in British sitcoms/sketch shows Page 2

Two points... There's a bit in 'Young Ones'(Boring' episode) where the policeman in sunglasses thinks the white guy's black and tries to nick him. It's pretty obvious who's the butt of the joke there.
And 'Till Death Us Do Part' is blatantly anti-racist - you're meant to laugh at what a prize berk he is. Some people didn't get it but that wasn't the intention.

Spot on Michael Monkhouse. The Young Ones has dated very badly in my opinion. Unquestionably funny when first on, watching it now it seems quite unfunny. Though still laugh when it's on, don't laugh nowhere near as much as when I first saw it. Bottom on the other hand is side splittingly funny.

If your bottom has a side split THAT could be tricky.. :O

I think 'The Young Ones' stands up really well...

But did you watch it when it first aired Michael?

Was I born when it first aired? I don't think so, I was in an embryonic state.

Quote: Aaron @ January 10, 2008, 4:27 PM

But did you watch it when it first aired Michael?

Yup! In fact I watched it from before i.e. I remember the trailer years back. I understand it's part of its time and some episodes are better than others ('Flood' is a weaker one, 'Sick' a brilliant one) but it still makes me laugh. And not just 'cause of nostalgia.

Well, as someone who certainly wasn't born when it aired, let alone watched it, I can promise you it has NOT aged well. From start to finish it's reflective of much of society at the time. I first saw it in, I guess, 2001-ish. Almost painful. Terry and June and The Good Life, on the other hand...

Looks like I'm in the minority here! 'The Young Ones' is still my favourite comedy show.

I think the Young Ones is great. The only reason people think it would have dated is because they believe the social issues have gone away or the style of humour has been refined by other shows.

Or perhaps because it's just not as funny as it was?

I think those sitcoms were of their time and show the attitudes around at the time. A lot has changed since then, just ask anybody from an ethnic background who has lived here for more than 20 years.

I don't think you can accuse those shows of much now as they worked within the boundaries of acceptable humour at the time. This was how society was educated back then (sadly) and the writers were just a product of that society.

What makes me laugh is these Racist Awareness groups that try to ban all racist jokes in any context on TV. How do you make certain people aware of racism if you deny it exists? How do you educate certain people if you don't show someone doing something racist (Brent, Maggie in Extras) and then making a point that its wrong?

I agree Nuts, but why can't people use just plain old simple common sense?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 11, 2008, 10:59 AM

What makes me laugh is these Racist Awareness groups that try to ban all racist jokes in any context on TV. How do you make certain people aware of racism if you deny it exists? How do you educate certain people if you don't show someone doing something racist (Brent, Maggie in Extras) and then making a point that its wrong?

Hear here! Couldn't agree with you more. It's like the people who argue that we shouldn't teach people about the war because it might offend Jews, or some other such bollocks. F**k. Off. If they're offended, then they're idiots. Let them be offended. People need to be taught about the atrocities and unsavoury things which have happened in the past, or what moral basis do they have to know that such things are wrong, bad, whatever? It might strike us as obvious and common sense that you shouldn't go around trying to kill anyone who's black, Jewish, or whatever else the minority of the moment is, but that's only because we've been brought up with those particular morals.

Quote: Leevil @ January 11, 2008, 11:03 AM

I agree Nuts, but why can't people use just plain old simple common sense?

I wish it was that simple Leevil but look at the world (or even your local), its quite clear that what is common sense to you and me isn't common sense to everyone else.