Comedy Connections

Anyone see this last night about The Office? It may have been on before, I don't know, but it was interesting. I knew all about Stephen Merchant's training video and them doing a pilot but I didn't know there was a voiceover on the pilot. And I didn't know Jon Plowman didn't like it when he read the script and was opposed to Merchant and Gervais having a hands-on approach to the project.

Just shows, doesn't it?

I just watched the Red Dwarf one, which is an extra on the series 8 DVD. Good little shows, though if anything they could be a bit longer to go more in depth. Havent seen the office one though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 27, 2007, 11:46 AM

I just watched the Red Dwarf one, which is an extra on the series 8 DVD. Good little shows, though if anything they could be a bit longer to go more in depth.

They are actually now longer than they were when the Dwarf one was done.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 27, 2007, 11:46 AM

I just watched the Red Dwarf one, which is an extra on the series 8 DVD. Good little shows, though if anything they could be a bit longer to go more in depth. Havent seen the office one though.

Just buy the DVDs and watch the documentaries. Brilliant viewing (For me, the Dwarf DVDS are the best comedy package you can buy)

Yes, it's a great show. There have been five series' to date, but as far as I'm aware, there aren't any more planned.

Wikipedia has a list of all the episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Connections

I still love Jon Plowman though!

Quote: Seefacts @ December 27, 2007, 12:56 PM

Just buy the DVDs and watch the documentaries. Brilliant viewing (For me, the Dwarf DVDS are the best comedy package you can buy)

The Dwarf DVDs are just about the best you can get with regards to the attention lavished on them and number of extras. I cant think of any comedy show that has as much love and work put into putting together a truly worthwhile and enjoyable package for the shows fans.

Maid Marian and Her Merry Men has brilliant extras!

Quote: Aaron @ December 27, 2007, 1:17 PM

Maid Marian and Her Merry Men has brilliant extras!

Ah, havent got them. I used to love watching it when i was young, but I dont know if id buy and watch them now. Maybe its only shows that have featured Danny John Jules that put the extra effort into DVD extras . . ?

I dunno, maybe, maybe.

I doubt it, but maybe.

I still think they need to do one of Spaced, Coupling, Black Books and Father Ted if they haven't done one of the latter already. But with Spaced you could really just watch "Skip To The End" documentary on the 3 disco boxset.

Father Ted was S02E03, and the other three haven't been done in their own right. Not sure there'd be much in the way of connections to actually go down, particularly for Coupling, would there? :-/

Quote: Aaron @ December 27, 2007, 1:47 PM

Father Ted was S02E03, and the other three haven't been done in their own right. Not sure there'd be much in the way of connections to actually go down, particularly for Coupling, would there? :-/

Spaced would be ok - you've got Jessica Stevenson (Bob and Rose, Royle Family, According to Bex); Simon Pegg (films obviously); Mark Heap (Green Wing, Big Train etc); Julia Deakin (um.... The Bill?); Nick Frost (Man Stroke Woman, Hyperdrive); Peter Serawhateverhisname (Look Around You, his own show); Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz).

and Coupling... well Jack Davenport went on to Hollywood; Sarah Alexander has been in oh so many good comedies (Green Wing, Worst Week etc); and Richard Mylan has moved onto other sitcoms (e.g. Grownups).

Admittedly Ben Miles, Gina Bellman, Kate Isitt and Richard Coyle have been a bit quiet on the comedy front since Coupling but the joy of Comedy Connections is often looking back at what happened before the show rather than after it (e.g. as I know you know Ben Miles and Kate Isitt first met on Is It Legal?).

Duno if you know Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees but maybe he could do something similar for sitcoms.

Mark: Yes, true, true. I'd still wonder whether there'd actually be enough to really discuss in the kind of depth which CC tries to get to? I dunno. Maybe.