Anyone feel like giving me tips on my stand-up? Page 2

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 15, 2007, 4:47 PM

Oh and don't go to Jongleurs to get an idea of how to do stand-up comedy, most acts that perform there at shite. My opinion of course.

Or maybe check the listings at least. There are a lot of great acts playing Jongleurs. There's a lot of middle-of road stuff, but you'll still learn more than you would watching an open mike night.

My opinion of course.

I liked the 'phone stuff with the sex-line because it was a fresh take on a topic that has been covered before. The section started off a bit same-y, but was still funny. I think you could be more original with the first bit of the telesales material. I've done telesales before. I was on the blower for half an hour to a woman once; she didn't want uPVC windows fitted by a 19-year-old "young executive" with a grin as wide as the knot on his tie, she just wanted to tell me about her dead husband. I found it very difficult to tell her that I didn't, in fact, just ring for a chat.
I like all of it, I thought the chess stuff was good. It's certainly good enough to put it to the REAL test, anyway, which is what I suppose you need to do! If you feel it's a cheap stereotype - but true - I don't see any harm in telling your audience that if it would make you feel better. You could think of other 'true stereotypes' and use that as a link, maybe.

But don't take anything I say seriously, I've acted a lot but never done stand-up. Something I'd like to try, though.

Hi Ondupe

Can I just say that I do consider stand up material as 'writing' so don't have any worries there.

I like your routine and you have some really funny jokes in there. I agree with others about the links being a bit weak but it is possible that your persona on stage could assist with this. Or obviously smooth out those links in written form first. Agreed with the Braille joke though. I have definately heard that before. Don't kick yourself for that. Sometimes I can't distiguish jokes I've heard 20 years ago from jokes I think I've made up myself. Actually I think this happens to a lot of people. You just have to take it on the chin and scrap it then put a new joke in its place.

Are you writing this for yourself to perform or are you writing for someone else?

Def.

yeah i'm writing it for myself to perform, as far as my stage persona smoothing out bad links I very much doubt that will happen as at the moment my stage persona seems to be nervous guy who goes to pieces the moment one of his jokes doesn't get a good reaction, still thats just something that hopefully will improve with time. Given the conflicting advice over this links I rekon I might go with the no link is better than a bad link ethos, given that ultimately I will probably drop most of my early material and so any really great links will just mean I have to take bits of material in rigid groups.

Quote: Ondupe @ December 15, 2007, 8:14 PM

Given the conflicting advice over this links...

It all boils down to what sort pf style/persona you wish to adopt, really, I suppose.

I've never heard the braille one and there must be many others who haven't either.

Lots of stand ups cover the same topics-and most audiences dont watch every single stand up so dont worry too much.Its your take on things that counts-I liked the call centre stuff.I've not heard the braille one either but maybe dont start with it if you think its been done-is there a way to google jokes to see if theyve been done?
Good material though-you just need to get out and perform it coz theres only so far you can develop this stuff on paper.Also,if your stage persona is 'nervous guy' find a way to use that-make it work for you.Good luck

In my humble opinion it's very strong material. Get up there and do it and you'll see!

I read you're routine (I'm at work... got some funny looks while laughing).

Very good I liked it, a few people mentioned it doesn't link, don't worry too much about that if people are laughing, you can smoothly intro another joke, my routines a lot like that one liner, one liner, one liner.

It feels like it could do with another go over but what joke doesnt. it all seems pretty solid I'd go with it, with this routine you should be a vessal for the jokes, don't worry about a persona at the moment especially if you're new too it.