Passport To Pimlico (1949)

Again, one of those films that I had blearily partly watched on a Sunday afternoon, as the liquid lunch settled, with a promise to watch in full one day.
Dunno why, but have never been a mad fan of Stanley Holloway, but he was good in this, along with all those stalwarts of post war Britain of Hermione Baddeley, Sydney Tafler, Margaret Rutherford, John Slater, Charles Hawtrey, Raymond Huntley, Michael Hordern, Arthur Howard, Bill Shine, James Hayter etc. etc. and the gorgeous Barbara Murray.

Oh, and look, there's Sam Kydd turning up in army uniform again, and was so pleased to see the "double act" of Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne, with their subtle humour.

Not outrageously funny, but certainly amusing and well worth the hour and a half of my time.

8/10

One of my favourites of the Ealing comedies. A charming tale with, as you say, a wonderful cast.

You mean this is the first thread on this?

Quote: Chappers @ 15th December 2023, 8:35 PM

You mean this is the first thread on this?

Yes, amazingly

I like the film's concept but have never really gelled with the film when watching it for some reason. Maybe just a bit too light for me, with not enough real conflict. Contrast this with their next film Kind Hearts & Coronets, a belter.