Roy (Hudd or Castle) question Page 2

No I can't get into them like I do with the colour eps, which is a shame as I can see most of them were decent stories, I just keep wanting to visualise it in colour like the rest, which makes it less enjoyable.

Oh dear, you're not one of the colouriser brigade are you that enjoys L&H in colour. 😎

I'm wondering if there was a remake of that Comedy Playhouse programme S4E7 Hudd from 15.7.1965. I know that Paul Merton made some remakes of shows (but I don't think he did that one and I cannot see in IMDB that synopsis in any that he did remake. So I am now wondering if anyone else made remakes of older shows besides Paul Merton?

I've sourced a copy of the Radio Times in question, and it sounds like Hudd probably is the show you describe, fhb. Page 43 paints a picture of a Frank Spencer-like character, somewhat accident prone, meeting his girlfriend's parents for the first time and hoping to impress. Unfortunately the only detail about the events of the programme refer to something that occurs en route: there's no mention of a suitcase or newly decorated bedroom (or indeed other events) in order to be certain.

I can also find absolutely no hint of any remake occurring in any form at any time, so I suspect this is indeed the exact programme, filtered through almost 60 years of memory.

Failing a dive through the BBC or writers' archives to find a copy of the script, the best I can do is offer these photographs:

Hudd
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th October 2023, 11:42 AM

Oh dear, you're not one of the colouriser brigade are you that enjoys L&H in colour. 😎

No not at all, I have both and only watch the b&w ones. But a TV series that's split into b&w and colour sections is a different thing, and the contrast of the earlier eps is just too jarring for me, knowing what they should look like in colour. You also have the psychology of viewing supposedly realistic progs to get over, it's much harder to assume realism in unnaturalistic b&w, although with sitcoms this is less an issue than with drama.

Quote: Aaron @ 8th October 2023, 5:54 PM

I've sourced a copy of the Radio Times in question, and it sounds like Hudd probably is the show you describe, fhb. Page 43 paints a picture of a Frank Spencer-like character, somewhat accident prone, meeting his girlfriend's parents for the first time and hoping to impress. Unfortunately the only detail about the events of the programme refer to something that occurs en route: there's no mention of a suitcase or newly decorated bedroom (or indeed other events) in order to be certain.

I can also find absolutely no hint of any remake occurring in any form at any time, so I suspect this is indeed the exact programme, filtered through almost 60 years of memory.

Failing a dive through the BBC or writers' archives to find a copy of the script, the best I can do is offer these photographs:

Hudd

Ah, don't want to obscure this post, so...

Good detective work. You could say he's almost a prototype Frank Spencer then, it sounded like SMDAE type plotline. HUDD it must be.

Ahh, if only we could have asked Roy - he lived in Suffolk. I could have popped in and asked him. Sounded like a perfect vehicle for him and would love to see the episodes.

Aaron,
BRILLIANT - Many thanks for finding Page 43 (where did you find it?!?!). As regards B&W v Colour I did find a reference that many programs were mad in colour from 1963 onwards so maybe my memory is not so bad after all!!! Many, Many thanks. Although I would still like to find a copy (by all accounts impossible) I'm happy that it certainly sounds like this Comedy Playhouse S4E7 of 15.7.1965. Many thanks!
FHB

Quote: Aaron @ 8th October 2023, 5:54 PM

Hudd