OFAH musical on TV

Apparently Paul Whitehouse is hoping to make a TV special of of Only Fools and Horses the Musical. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fyi/283/only-fools-and-horses-stage-show-stars-want-tv-version/

As a huge fan of the classic TV series Only Fools and Horses, a TV musical special is not something I'd like to see, yes a stage musical but there is only one TV OFAH.

I would be very happy to see it. Having it on record and able to be watched again can only be a good thing.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2023, 12:30 PM

I would be very happy to see it. Having it on record and able to be watched again can only be a good thing.

But why the constant need in modern media for remakes?

Because they are bereft of original ideas.

But this wouldn't be any more a remake than what has already existed on stage.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2023, 2:00 PM

But this wouldn't be any more a remake than what has already existed on stage.

I don't have a problem with a stage show, but a tv musical would be seen by many as a remake.

I think it'd be a good thing as it enables people who haven't seen the stage show to see the musical. I personally wouldn't see it as s remake since it's a one off curio.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th June 2023, 3:16 PM

I think it'd be a good thing as it enables people who haven't seen the stage show to see the musical. I personally wouldn't see it as s remake since it's a one off curio.

In that context it wouldnt be a problem, it would be a homage I'd guess.

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 24th June 2023, 2:30 PM

I don't have a problem with a stage show, but a tv musical would be seen by many as a remake.

Those people would be insane. It'd be no more a remake than the stage show itself.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2023, 4:57 PM

Those people would be insane. It'd be no more a remake than the stage show itself.

If it was a series of six half hours it would be remake yes - but ok a one-off televised musical would not be a revival, remake or reboot just a homage.

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 24th June 2023, 6:17 PM

If it was a series of six half hours it would be remake yes

It's only a remake if they literally re-make original produced episodes and scripts. But absolutely no one, anywhere, is proposing that. They're just mooting a filmed version of the stage musical. At worst, it's an adaptation of a sort-of adaptation.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2023, 2:00 PM

'They' might well be, the they being the established few, the masonic TV writers circle with locks on every door. But there are outsiders with fresh ideas who can't get in because they didn't go to their uni or embarrass themselves every night in front of a small audience in obscure little venues for five years. sigh.

On the TV musical project, mainly because it's fronted by the super talented Paul Whitehouse, I'm fine with it although like many I detest musicals. This is clearly just a bit of well intended fun made by real fans of the sitcom, so I'll probably give it a watch.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2023, 11:44 AM

I'm fine with it although like many I detest musicals..

The only musical I ever enjoyed was "Oliver!" - as for the likes of Sound of Music or say The King and I, you can forget it!! Never watched either