The Family Pile Page 2

I didn't watch any of this as it never looked like my sort of thing and the reviews on here were poor, but I see it's yet another one series flop. I've yet to do a survey to prove it but it seems like there are now fewer new sitcoms that make a 2nd series than don't. This was unheard of in the past. Something is going badly wrong with the commissioning process if they can't filter out the no hopers from the ones with legs. Do they not pilot things anymore?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th January 2023, 11:26 PM

Did absolutely nothing for me - a garbled mess.

Makes you wonder what criteria some commissioning editors work to.

Makes me wonder if they have any criteria, or just hand them to those known to them and no one else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th April 2023, 7:49 AM

Do they not pilot things anymore?

Kipper, you've nailed it, these tv stations should focus on a pilot rather than going straight in with a series, that would end the problem of one series flops almost certainly.

Years ago there was "Comedy Playhouse" etc and that worked perfectly.

Revert to two or three channels. That's the only way to improve the standard of programmes on offer. You can't have the number of channels we now have, all vying to fill their 24 hour schedules, and still expect to maintain the quality.

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 24th April 2023, 12:02 PM

Years ago there was "Comedy Playhouse" etc and that worked perfectly.

Some superb series came out of that, that have stood the test of time and not dated.

Plenty of pilots are made, but few are now produced. There are plenty of one-series examples from decades past, we just forget them.

The problem is the decision makers are completely disconnected from the public, so it's only if pilots were made, aired and actually paid proper attention to ratings etc that the above suggestions would have effect.

TV as a whole has changed drastically over the last decade or two and not for the better.

It's not just sitcom. When will something like The Saint or The Persuaders be made again?

Am I not surprised....................

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7299/the-family-pile-axed/

Quote: Aaron @ 24th April 2023, 6:15 PM

Plenty of pilots are made, but few are now produced. There are plenty of one-series examples from decades past, we just forget them.

The problem is the decision makers are completely disconnected from the public, so it's only if pilots were made, aired and actually paid proper attention to ratings etc that the above suggestions would have effect.

I'm trying to think of sitcoms that are still running that started with an aired one-off pilot to come back with a series, and the only 2 I can think of from the top of my head are Motherland and Two Doors Down, the former I still love and the latter I still mostly enjoy.

I do think piloting will be a good way to gauge reactions better.

EDIT: Oh, right as I post this, thought of a 3rd: Here We Go, which started off as a one off at Christmas a few years bacl called Pandemonium.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th April 2023, 6:15 PM

Plenty of pilots are made, but few are now produced.

broadcast*

Quote: Feeoree @ 25th April 2023, 8:23 AM

I'm trying to think of sitcoms that are still running that started with an aired one-off pilot to come back with a series, and the only 2 I can think of from the top of my head are Motherland and Two Doors Down, the former I still love and the latter I still mostly enjoy.

I do think piloting will be a good way to gauge reactions better.

EDIT: Oh, right as I post this, thought of a 3rd: Here We Go, which started off as a one off at Christmas a few years bacl called Pandemonium.

There are a few on BBC Three, such as Dreaming Whilst Black, but some do push the definition of sitcom, or even comedy, somewhat.

Did Kate and Koji start as a pilot?

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 25th April 2023, 11:46 AM

Did Kate and Koji start as a pilot?

Yes, one was made, but no it did not air.

That managed two series but was not fantastic.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th April 2023, 1:16 PM

Revert to two or three channels. That's the only way to improve the standard of programmes on offer. You can't have the number of channels we now have, all vying to fill their 24 hour schedules, and still expect to maintain the quality.

Yes the massive expansion of choice for viewers has killed off the once huge ratings for shows, or you could say the pre-millennium 3/4/5 channel terrestrial TV had a captive audience which had no choice but to watch sitcom A or B. The Morecambe & Wise or SMDAE Xmas specials would have got a fraction of the 20odd million ratings they got if they had this crazy choice of channels we have now.

They had it easy, and obviously even weak sitcoms pulled in a good audience, unlike now, because people have so many other channels to watch instead. Even the BBC are competing against their own scheduled show ratings by having so many others available on iPlayer, it's insane. The times audiences mainly watch TV haven't changed, it's in the evening after work, so if the new sitcom on BBC Two doesn't appeal, they'll watch a recent one again on iPlayer that does. It's killing the chances of new sitcoms and has to be a factor in why so many fail to get second series now. New sitcoms today have it very tough indeed, impress from the off or you're out. Thank you and good evening.

Maybe, but this sitcom the thread is about, was a load of crap.