Come On In The Waters Lovely

9am in a lovely quaint Post Office on the Isles of Scilly.

Postmistress Mary Potter is drinking a cup of tea as she walks through the shop and turns the sign on the door from Closed to Open.
Her husband Peter Potter is examining a large box.

PETER
Look at this, its addressed to us.

MARY
Who's sending us stuff.

PETER
No, it's not 'For us' It's addressed to us to be collected by a Paul Webb?

MARY
Paul Webb? Never heard of him, we haven't had a Webb on the island for years.

PETER then turns the box over to show MARY the bottom of the box which has a large A4 photo of a man in swimming cap with his thumbs up.

The bell over the door rings and a soaking wet man in a Speedo costume and bathing cap walks in and the Potters instantly recognise him from the photo.

PAUL
Good morning my names Paul Webb, I believe you have a parcel for me. I obviously don't have any ID because of the trunks but my photos on the bottom of the box.

MARY hands Paul the box and he opens it right away and takes a towel out of it and starts getting dry as he walks out the Post Office.

PAUL
Thank you.

Paul then stands outside the shop and leans down; he takes a shirt and tie out of the box and puts it on. MARY and PETER are watching this through the shop window.

MARY
Where did that box come from?

PETER
A post Office on the Isle of Wight

MARY
You don't think he ...swam here, do you ?

PAUL
From the Isle of Wight? No chance it's probably one of those bloody Tok Tik larks

5pm in a lovely quaint Post Office on the Isles of Scilly.

Postmistress Mary Potter is drinking a cup of tea as she walks through the shop and turns the sign on the door from Open to Closed.
Just as she does so PAUL squeezes through the gap in the door carrying the large box. He is back in his trunks and bathing cap, and he smiles as he speaks.

PAUL
Thank goodness I made it. Can I just post this please as I'm in a bit of rush as I don't want to miss the tide.

PAUL then opens the box and takes out a roll of duct tape and a pair of scissors . He cuts a strip of the duct tape and sticks it to the end on his nose as he speaks .

PAUL
Excuse me how much is it to overnight this to the Post Office on the Isle of Man.

MARY
£49

PAUL takes a wallet out of the box gives Mary the money. He then pops the wallet back in the box along with the tape and the scissors and almost as an afterthought he takes off his flip flops puts them in the box as well then seals it up and hands it to MARY.

As this is happening PETER comes and stands by Mary who he then nudges.

MARY
Excuse Mr Webb don't think I'm being nosey, but did you swim here?

PAUL (looks at this watch)
I certainly did and now if the tides on time I'm off to the Isle of Man.

PETER
You're going to swim to the Isle of Man?

PAUL
Yes, I'm on a swimming holiday, mind you I'm only there for three hours as I have to set off to Belfast with the noon tide.

MARY
Do you mind if we ask you a question? It's just that your name? We were talking earlier my husband and I and you know with all the swimming and stuff we wondered if you're related to Captain Webb?

PAUL
I get that all the time , and sadly no I'm not . I do come from a family of swimmers but no, its just a coincidence I'm afraid.

MARY
So you're actual holiday will be in Ireland then.

PAUL
Yes I'll be seeing my brother for the first time in five years

MARY
Oh that's lovely, what a lovely thing to do

PETER
I bet he'll be more than impressed by you going to all this trouble just to see him.

PAUL
I doubt it, he's swimming over from America to meet me.

I could see Dave Allen telling that story :)

Thanks for the read of it John and you're right I can see him doing it as its more of an anecdote than a sketch. I must admit I smiled as I wrote it as its silly rather than funny.