It was 50 years ago today... Page 2

Metrication? When did that happen? I remember the decimalisation of the currency on 15 February 1971. But metrication day? I don't remember that at all.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th February 2021, 10:15 AM

Metrication? When did that happen? I remember the decimalisation of the currency on 15 February 1971. But metrication day? I don't remember that at all.

Well I remember 15th Feb 1971 for sure as I was not only my birthday, but my business partner and I decided that that was the official launch of our fledgling business.

I don't think there was a Metrication Day - it was just gradually snuck up on people, whether they liked it or not, such as petrol in litres (so much for that! As people STILL talk of MPG, as I do) and I remember greengrocers defying "the law" by selling their goods still in Lbs and Ounces for their, generally, local elder population who struggled with it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th February 2021, 10:30 AM

Well I remember 15th Feb 1971 for sure as I was not only my birthday, but my business partner and I decided that that was the official launch of our fledgling business.

I don't think there was a Metrication Day - it was just gradually snuck up on people

What sort of language is that?

But yes - I agree. Monetary things had to be absorbed by everyone but weights and measures? I've never understood them.