Idioms, catchphrases, sayings etc.

Is there a phrase from TV or radio that sticks in your brain, and within your family?

Reminded of this one, this morning when my wife said "Is today Saturday"

And on auto-pilot I said, as have done for years..................

"Yes, it's TISWAS day"

From an advert: I used to say 'Daddy or chips' and before the 'ps' of chips was out, both my daughters would say 'chips'

There was a comedy programme - can't even remember what it was now (1970s?) - in which one particular character used to enter the room saying "morningtons" (as opposed to "good morning"). I often still say "Morningtons" by way of a greeting. Nobody knows what I'm talking about of course but that's not unusual.

If someone asks me if something is any good I quite often reply "nope, it's a bloooody nightmare "

Partridge style

Leslie Crowther masturbates over feathers. Come on down.

"Do you or do you not?"
Russell Harty used to say that a lot and so do I.
"Ay-Thang-Yaw"
Arthur Askey used to say that a lot and so do I.
I also pronounce calibre like Hancock
"Stone me a man of my calibre"

No one understands me at all here.

I sometimes dramatically announce "well that's just efffinggg marvellous!"

A la Richard Richard of Bottom

Various ones from Holiday on the Buses, League of Gentlemen and OFAH...

"You wouldn't let it lie!" from Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th December 2020, 1:09 PM

"You wouldn't let it lie!" from Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

:D Yes, I use that one now I come to think about it..............especially in "conversations" with my wife.

1. "You'll get a punch up the bracket"

2. "What, with these feet?"

I still say 'good mowning' like Ren'e

I forgot I use that sometimes and a Hilda Baker "I'm sat sitting here" and "I didn't get where I am today by doing the washing up"(etc...) from CJ
I 'm obviously not very original.

Ha! Yes, you've reminded me of another one I use, from Hilda - "Be soon" when you want something done quickly.

"A piss on a Christmas pudding will always come back to haunt you".

In 1982, I went out with my millions of friends and came back home a bit disorientated by the sheer universal adulation for me. I looked for the toilet and got it wrong. It was the only time I ever got anything wrong actually. I thought it was my bedroom cupboard. Me mother had placed the Christmas pudding there for safe keeping. I had no idea but immediately recognised it to be such a pudding once suitably relieved of my burden. Obviously I was up all night, tip toeing around with Andrex, mopping. And then I had the indiginity of having to sit there as my grandparents chugged through it. My Nan said it was the best pudding she had ever had. Where had my mother bought it? So now I face a lonely isolated Christmas with no turkey and no pudding as I won't go into supermarkets because of Covid. Haven't done since March. So dear old Christmas has finally got its pudding own back. It has waited 38 years but it is pissing on me.