A Run For Your Money (1949)

I gave up with this after half an hour, and the reason was summed up by one of the reviewers on the IMDb :-
"Well made but I had a hard time really caring about the film or the characters in it."

The caring about the people in it was my main concern, even though one of them was played by the wonderful Alec Guinness whose character I found limp and almost annoying, and continuing with his review................
"Oddly, however, I liked it only mildly, though I wasn't totally sure why. So, instead of writing my review right away like I usually do, I decided to think about it for a while...mull it over in my head.

Now that some time has passed, I think the biggest reason I didn't love the film was that my expectations are just too high. Having seen films like PASSPORT TO PIMLICO and THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT (among many others), I expected the same magic. This really isn't 100% fair--as the Ealing people can't be expected to reprise the same level of success in every film. Another reason, and this one I think they could help, was that in many ways you never really get to know the characters that well. Too often, they are running about or having adventures and I felt that I wanted more. Finally, the whole idea of a country person going to the big city and having problems with the fast-paced city dwellers has been done many times before and the idea wasn't 100% original."

So, as the rest of the reviews were all glowing, I thought I would give it a second chance as I may have been too hasty or too tired at the time and a bit crabby. :D

Later......................

Retrieved it from the Delete folder and watched it to the end. There was a highlight of Joyce Grenfell as the posh manageress of a ladies dress shop, but as for the rest of it, I found it timid and barely raised a smile.