The Crouches

Picked up the DVD cheap and found myself really enjoying it. I got it mainly because I saw Danny John Jules, Don Warrington and Rudolph Walker were amongst the cast, and the first episode zipped by. Walker in particular steals it. I see it ran for two series, which for a BBC studio sitcom isn't half bad! Anybody else remember watching it at the time/still like it?

Who was Peter playing for then?

Actually I don't remember this at all.

Yes, I remember it and enjoyed it at the time. Have had the DVD box set for years, but something always seems to get in the way of a rewatch!

Quote: Aaron @ 8th September 2019, 8:20 PM

Yes, I remember it and enjoyed it at the time. Have had the DVD box set for years, but something always seems to get in the way of a rewatch!

Just got to the end of the first series. Really like it. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's a great example of big, broad studio sitcom done well. Good gag rate and top class actors. Hopefully the second series will stand up!

Well, finally got to the second series and... Wow. It's like the first series never happened. Changed the theme tune to one of the most awful I've ever heard and the writing gets a lot worse. Then I see Ian Pattison isn't writing the scripts anymore and it makes sense.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th September 2019, 12:07 PM

Well, finally got to the second series and... Wow. It's like the first series never happened. Changed the theme tune to one of the most awful I've ever heard and the writing gets a lot worse. Then I see Ian Pattison isn't writing the scripts anymore and it makes sense.

The first series got a *lot* of stick for being written by, and made by, an almost exclusively white team. They purposely changed it for black creatives in Series 2...

Quote: Aaron @ 14th September 2019, 4:57 PM

The first series got a *lot* of stick for being written by, and made by, an almost exclusively white team. They purposely changed it for black creatives in Series 2...

That's fair enough, and I didn't know about the criticism, but I still don't think the second series is anywhere near as funny as the first though.

Some good shots. In the last episode, for example, the son films the football match and we see it through the camera, with his own little commentary. Later, in the evening, the Crouch family watch it back together, and we see Roly score the winning goal, and his dad looking very pleased.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but I thought it was quite effective.