The Big Job

Had seen this before but can't remember whether I saw it at the cinema when it was released. Whatever, it's a good sort of half "Carry On" romp with some great lines and skits.

Sid constantly turning down Sylvia Syms's pleas for him to bed her didn't quite ring true and I would have no hesitation in bedding Edina Ronay. PHWOARR! Lovey

The star for me though was Jim Dale as the gormless policeman - played to perfection!

The plot is based on the 1935 film, A Fire Has Been Arranged starring Flanagan & Allen, Alastair Sim and Robb Wilton, which, itself, is well worth watching and which I included in my list on the "My Top 50 British Comedy Films" thread a while ago.

Thanks for that Billy, and on your recommendation Pleased - have just bought a copy off eBay so looking forward to that, although I'm not a great fan of Flanagan and Allen, I certainly am of Alastair Sim and Robb Wilton.

Also notice on IMDb that Vera Lynn has an uncredited part as an extra!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th June 2019, 9:39 AM

on your recommendation Pleased - have just bought a copy off eBay

If I knew which emoji (if that's the right word) to use for the expression "Eek" - or similar sentiment - I would use it here.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2019, 1:14 PM

If I knew which emoji (if that's the right word) to use for the expression "Eek" - or similar sentiment - I would use it here.

Don't worry, am not expecting much from a pre-war comedy film. :D

Curiosity more than anything and see if I can spot any connections with "The Big Job"

I thought it was on YouTube but I can't find it .I have seen it not that long ago. It must have been on the TV.
I expect Sylvia locked herself in the dressing room when she wasn't on the set. :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2019, 2:26 AM

I have seen it not that long ago. It must have been on the TV.

Yes, it was one I had recorded off Film 4 or Talking Pictures about two weeks ago.

Thanks. My memory isn't what

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2019, 8:37 AM

The plot is based on the 1935 film, "A Fire Has Been Arranged" starring Flanagan & Allen, Alastair Sim and Robb Wilton, which, itself, is well worth watching and which I included in my list on the "My Top 50 British Comedy Films" thread a while ago.

Just received my copy and it's better than I thought it would be - I thought I was getting a home-made DVD but this is original cased and sealed for only £2.99 post paid! Absolute bargain!!

Let's hope it's as good as the recommendation. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2019, 8:37 AM

The plot is based on the 1935 film, "A Fire Has Been Arranged" starring Flanagan & Allen,

Wasn't there a Morecambe & Wise sketch about a Miss Flanaganandallen, who had a thing about walking behind men, holding their shoulder?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th June 2019, 1:33 PM

Wasn't there a Morecambe & Wise sketch about a Miss Flanaganandallen?

Bloody Hell! That's certainly going back a bit! :O

Yes, she was played by Australian actress Maggie Fitzgibbon.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th June 2019, 7:19 AM

Sid constantly turning down Sylvia Syms's pleas for him to bed her didn't quite ring true...............

Further to that, forgot to mention when they were digging the tunnel and Sylvia wasn't getting "any" she pleaded (not verbatim) "You shouldn't be digging that silly hole, when you should be doing things to me".................OMG, I went seriously weak at the knees when she said that, leaving me a whimpering wreck on the floor - 'Quick nurse, the screens!'