Banned on the Wall

I found an old copy of the 'Look In' magazine from the 70's a few months back . Having flicked through it I realised that almost 90% of the people in it went on to be convicted of one thing or another mostly sex capers and the centre page pull out to put on your wall was Gary Glitter .

So now I am now re -reading all my Warlords and Commando War books with a very weary eye in case I have been 'Molested by proxy' And if that's not a crime yet, it soon will be.

So back to my point. did anything befall your childhood hero? If so what happened to them and how did you react?
Did you go all Don McClean and write a song or poem? Or did you put it behind you without a second thought and go back to riding your bike with no hands?

Also do you still like a disgraced star? For instance do you have an oil painting over your fire of Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville that was painted by Rolf Harris that you're loath to get rid of?

I know I would still listen to Lead Belly and he carried on shocking even for the 20's , I know he killed at least one perhaps two people as well as strangling a prostitute and he escaped from a chain gang .
I suppose its true what they say about the blues 'You gotta go through it, to get to it'

They weren't hero's of mine but Glitter, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris were all people who were synonymous with the 70's I grew up in, and I liked at the time.

Animal Hospital was family viewing for me that even my dogs never missed because no matter where they were in the house they would come bounding in when they heard the saxophone theme tune and then sit right in front of the TV obscuring the view. His crimes ruined the memory of watching that but obviously I feel more for his victims. It's sickening to think it was going on while he was filming that show.

Tarby I once saw a documentary were Rabbits that had been freed by Animal Activists spoke frankly and if you would have seen it , it would make your hair curl.

One woman rabbit said that one minute she was in lab and the next she was in a pitch black field . She said all the other rabbits in the field were gray and were make up free so she stood out. On top of that she smoked more ciggies than Dot Cotton on speed.

That same night she had a pimp and a burrow and within ten weeks she had 49 kids.
In the end she had a breakdown and ended up being treated at that gaff Rolf had on lock down.
Harrowing tale absolutely harrowing and to this day if she hears a diggerdoo she freezes till it stops. She doesn't know if its out of fear? Or if he hypnotised his victims to stand still when he got it out.... the mind boggles.

Quote: Will Cam @ 25th October 2018, 10:55 PM

They weren't hero's of mine but Glitter, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris were all people who were synonymous with the 70's I grew up in, and I liked at the time.

So are you saying we can stick this people on the wall because Will Cam liked them? Even if they're child rapists?

I didn't get that from it at all Paul , I think it it was a retrospective appraisal that's all, no one endorsed anyone.

Rolf Harris. Lived not far from me, and I saw and met him a number of times. I can't marry the person I knew, both first hand and from TV, with the crimes he was convicted for.

That's often the case with most people I suspect Aaron, and the closer they are to them the bigger the shock it is if they were wholly oblivious.

I met Jonathan King when he was campaigning for Parliament for his own Royalist Party. He was in his Rolls Royce outside Ashtead station so I went and spoke to him. Seemed like a nice boy!

A few years later I met Rolf Harris at an exhibition I was involved in. We had a chat about didgeridoos and stylophones. Honest guv!

Quote: Aaron @ 26th October 2018, 12:04 PM

Rolf Harris.

I can't marry the person I knew, both first hand and from TV, with the crimes he was convicted for.

I think that he's still married so I'm afraid you can't Aaron.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2018, 11:37 PM

Cue: a post from Aaron asking, "Would it be bigamy?"

And then . . .

(Well, it is a comedy site!)

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2018, 11:37 PM

I met Jonathan King when he was campaigning for Parliament for his own Royalist Party. He was in his Rolls Royce outside Ashtead station so I went and spoke to him. Seemed like a nice boy!

A few years later I met Rolf Harris at an exhibition I was involved in. We had a chat about didgeridoos and stylophones. Honest guv!

Is didgeridoo a code for something? :O

Quote: Briosaid @ 26th October 2018, 11:53 PM

Is didgeridoo a code for something? :O

Well he taught me how to blow it.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2018, 12:03 AM

he taught me how to blow it.

Wasn't that the B-side of a Frank Ifield record?

I met Jimmy Savile while waiting for my car to be MOT'd
He was sat in the waiting area too.
He never broke character.

Gaily coloured tracksuit, gold and a fat cigar doing his routine throughout.

I thought about it years after - the front was probably to stop any awkward questions.
Supposed to be a fun guy - but actually quite intimidating.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2018, 12:03 AM

Well he taught me how to blow it.

Blowing into a hollow branch or trunk is easy. It's circular breathing that's a skill.

I still have The Rolf Harris Picture Book of Cats. Boxed and in the back of a storage container. Along with his autobiography. Should I bin them, burn them or re-read them?