Are kids of today getting worse?

I teach year 2 and last week I was swore at and had a girl threaten to pee in my bin when I wouldn't let them go to the toilet.

Quote: Firkin @ 24th October 2017, 11:55 AM

Was it a wicker bin ?

Yeah lol

I think that's only one example, Lauren.

What kind of comedy do you like?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 24th October 2017, 12:01 PM

I think that's only one example, Lauren.

What kind of comedy do you like?

I think it is disgusting from 6 year olds. Love sitcoms favourite is only fools.

Quote: Lauren Smith @ 24th October 2017, 11:35 AM

Are kids of today getting worse?

No.

It's the parents, and/or other adults with whom they have contact, that are getting worse. The kids, as they always have done, merely behave in the way that they are being brought up to believe is acceptable.

I would tell my child to ignore any teacher who would prevent them from going to the toilet when needed.

"Pupils as young as six denied toilet breaks and freedom of expression, says one mother..."

Are teachers getting worse?

Quote: DaButt @ 24th October 2017, 1:03 PM

I would tell my child to ignore any teacher who would prevent them from going to the toilet when needed.

I never let children go to the toilet, they should go at playtime and lunch. No excuse for the language.

Quote: Lee @ 24th October 2017, 1:11 PM

"Pupils as young as six denied toilet breaks and freedom of expression, says one mother..."

Are teachers getting worse?

Laughing out loud

I had a teacher not let me go to the toilet once when I was 6. I shat myself. It was a humiliating experience that I still have flashbacks about 28 years later.

The human bladder and bowels haven't yet evolved in such a way that they only work at playtime.

Quote: Lauren Smith @ 24th October 2017, 1:14 PM

I never let children go to the toilet, they should go at playtime and lunch.

It's a biological necessity and children that young are only a few years removed from diapers, and their bladder control is not fully developed. A six-year-old's bladder can only hold 8 ounces of urine, and an urgent need to defecate also arises from time to time. Things may be different in the UK, but if an American child were to have an accident because a teacher refused them permission it would probably end in a lawsuit.

I'm a rule follower by nature, but I always told my children and grandson that they should ignore the teacher's wishes and get up and go to the toilet if they had an urgent need to do so. I'm sure teachers wouldn't want to be denied their own use of a toilet in an emergency, so why should they deny their students that same basic right?

Quote: Lauren Smith @ 24th October 2017, 11:35 AM

I teach year 2 and last week I was swore at and had a girl threaten to pee in my bin when I wouldn't let them go to the toilet.

Bai Jove, this is ropey grammar for a teacher.
... I was sworn at (not: I was swore at)
... I wouldn't let her go to the toilet (not: I wouldn't let them go to the toilet. Unless two or more had requested permission)

To avoid the passive construction, bad grammar and ambiguity over how many kids had wanted to go to the toilet:
I teach Year 2 and last week a student swore at me and a girl threatened to pee in my bin after I wouldn't allow her to go to the toilet.

Anyway, what was the swear word(s)?

Well Lauren, welcome to the forum. As you can see, all you need to do is mention a bodily function and it gets the creative juices flowing. I think we forget that if kids can go to the toilet whenever they want, classrooms would be empty, well of all the smart kids at least. By the way I do a nice line in Pepper the Pig colostomy bags. :)

Quote: Firkin @ 24th October 2017, 3:55 PM

Well Lauren, welcome to the forum. As you can see, all you need to do is mention a bodily function and it gets the creative juices flowing. I think we forget that if kids can go to the toilet whenever they want, classrooms would be empty, well of all the smart kids at least. By the way I do a nice line in Pepper the Pig colostomy bags. :)

Nice, obviously if they have a letter about a medical problem they can go. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask children to go during break. The longest they have to hold their wee is a couple of hours.

Quote: Kenneth @ 24th October 2017, 3:46 PM

Bai Jove, this is ropey grammar for a teacher.
... I was sworn at (not: I was swore at)
... I wouldn't let her go to the toilet (not: I wouldn't let them go to the toilet. Unless two or more had requested permission)

To avoid the passive construction, bad grammar and ambiguity over how many kids had wanted to go to the toilet:
I teach Year 2 and last week a student swore at me and a girl threatened to pee in my bin after I wouldn't allow her to go to the toilet.

Anyway, what was the swear word(s)?

Told me to p*** off when I asked him to sit down.

What's the appropriate way for a teacher to respond when a kid says "piss off"? Send them to the principal's office? Give them lines or detention or what? Or sarcastically praise their communication skills and then punish them?