Monty Python Page 2

Interesting to read that Eric Idle is having to work into his eighties because Python makes him no money. And I quite like that there's no love loss between them, as indicated by his comments on Twitter:

"We own everything we ever made in Python and I never dreamed that at this age the income streams would tail off so disastrously, But I guess if you put a ­[Terry] Gilliam child in as your manager, you should not be so surprised. One Gilliam is bad enough; two can take out any ­company."

It's sad how public some of the Pythons have become with their money management and you wouldn't in a million years see Sir Michael talking about his finances in that way. It makes them look money grabbing and ungrateful despite all of them earning millions. Attacking Gilliam just looks like sour grapes because he's the most successful Python financially. Maybe Chapman's accusations of false accounting shouldn't have been so readily dismissed as the delusions of an alcoholic.

Eric was/is always my favourite Python

Same here

Eric and Michael it's impossible for me to choose one over the other. They are both the most versatile of the group and chameleon-like actors. My mention of Graham was probably not necessary and off the mark. Graham was hugely intelligent but there are more plausible explanations to him going through his share of royalties faster than the others instead of my suggestion of misappropriation. His lifestyle for a start and I've never thought any of them would knowingly rip off the others.

It's my understanding after all the bios I've read that that they all got a sixth share of profits from all the Python work they did together so it was all straight down the middle.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th February 2024, 11:41 PM

Eric and Michael it's impossible for me to choose one over the other.

Cleese Palin & Idle are the best Pythons ( choose any from three)
No disrespect to the vital cogs of Terry Jones and Graham Chapman ( probably the weakest comedic performer )