Things they never told me about getting old Page 5

Assisted suicide is legal where I live. Is it not in England? The laws for it are still a mess, but better than nothing, in my opinion anyway.

Ha at the shit in a drawer story! Though I've found even stranger things hidden in drawers at nursing homes.

Herc, I've changed thousands of adult nappies, but never once a baby's. Somehow baby's seem more disgusting to me. Probably physically less challenging to change though.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 27th March 2017, 9:34 PM

Herc, I've changed thousands of adult nappies, but never once a baby's. Somehow baby's seem more disgusting to me. Probably physically less challenging to change though.

:O

I remember the first nappy change of my firstborn. In hospital and the nurse showing me how to do it. There was all this BLACK gunge and I couldn't imagine how I was going to cope, but if you love the wee buggers you soon take it in your stride. Not sure I could do it for an adult.

Quote: keewik @ 27th March 2017, 11:18 PM

I remember the first nappy change of my firstborn. In hospital and the nurse showing me how to do it. There was all this BLACK gunge and I couldn't imagine how I was going to cope, but if you love the wee buggers you soon take it in your stride. Not sure I could do it for an adult.

There's no not sure for me.

I've changed thousands of adult nappies...

Davida, kudos to you. Firstly i have no idea how you do the job you do, but thank you for doing it. And secondly i hope you wash your hands regularly!

Quote: playfull @ 27th March 2017, 11:25 PM

Davida, kudos to you. Firstly i have no idea how you do the job you do, but thank you for doing it. And secondly i hope you wash your hands regularly!

Ha, thanks! I'm out of the caregiving game now (it was exhausting!) and now am paid (not very much) to keep people in an assisted living and memory care facility entertained all day (I'm an 'Activities Coordinator'). It's really a pretty great job minus my boss being an awful person. The facility is reasonably nice. So, it's not a particularly bleak place in comparison to the awful nursing homes that the poor and the underinsured people have to go to that I used to work at. Yay US healthcare system...

Assisted suicide is legal where I live. Is it not in England? The laws for it are still a mess, but better than nothing, in my opinion anyway.

Have deleted the shit parts............................... :D

So in how many states is it legal? And no, it's not here and so people go to Switzerland.

Davida checking stocks at the Old People's Home.

Cool

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2017, 7:05 AM

Have deleted the shit parts............................... :D

So in how many states is it legal? And no, it's not here and so people go to Switzerland.

I think only 6 states, right now.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 29th March 2017, 3:45 AM

I think only 6 states, right now.

Euthanasia is legal in 6 states and Trump is now your president, isn't anyone worried ? The statement "legal in 6 states" suggest that people might be put off by having to drive a few hours before hand.
Another benefit of getting really old (i.e. way older than anyone posting here) is you can run for Presidency of America. Because clarity of though clearly doesn't matter and you can pretend not to understand e-mail servers or wall building.

Quote: Firkin @ 29th March 2017, 8:12 PM

Euthanasia is legal in 6 states and Trump is now your president, isn't anyone worried ? The statement "legal in 6 states" suggest that people might be put off by having to drive a few hours before hand.
Another benefit of getting really old (i.e. way older than anyone posting here) is you can run for Presidency of America. Because clarity of though clearly doesn't matter and you can pretend not to understand e-mail servers or wall building.

It's a lot more complicated than that. There are restrictions, like you have to have written confirmation from two physicians attesting to the fact that you have 6 months or fewer to live, and you need to make two oral and one written request to physicians at least 10 days apart. I think you also have to be physically able to go in and pick up the prescriptions from a pharmacy, and mentally competent to make decisions about your own health. I don't think a POA can make the decision for you. So, if for instance, you're already bed-bound or suffering from dementia and can't make responsible legal decisions about your own health, then you're not eligible. I don't know all of the details. But if you think about just the size of the US, I think you all are much closer in proximity to the Switzerland than most people in the US are to a state where assisted suicide is legal. My state, Oregon, is bigger than the whole of the UK! Even coming up from California just south of Oregon, it's a good 20 hour drive.

Perhaps a benefit of the presidency situation is that maybe Trump so old and possibly unhealthy enough that he'll die before his term is over? One can hope. Though the string of people next in line to replace him are just as terrifying.

Okay, so I can't moan about not being able to walk nor breathe properly, nor the massive weight loss (32% and counting), nor the loss of Driving Licence etc., because they did tell me about all that..

..but what they didn't mention was all the spare CASH! I've never been so flush! Scant consolation, but a fact.

So don't believe all the media hype about the 'old' being poor. It's bollocks.

Gonny lend us a tenner, Jimmy?

Quote: keewik @ 31st March 2017, 10:21 PM

Gonny lend us a tenner, Jimmy?

Ye dinnae need any, ye rich b****rd, ye.

Shocked that so many forum members are over 75.

I had always thought that the average age was 28.