British Comedy Guide

DailyMash/Newsthump pay rates?

golfer

• Thursday 21st April 2016, 1:37pm
  • london, England
  • 10 posts

Anyone know very roughly how much these sites pay for an article? I notice Newthump pay more if your article is popular - is the Dailymash the same? Thanks for any info.

TheTrashBat

• Friday 24th April 2020, 11:32am
  • Dorset, United Kingdom
  • 80 posts

Also wondering this...

Lazzard

• Monday 27th April 2020, 11:35am
  • Ludlow, England
  • 4,710 posts

Whatever it is, it's too much.

Paul Wimsett

• Tuesday 28th April 2020, 10:36am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,389 posts

I think you just submit ideas, payment is secondary. There's better options out there.

Paul Wimsett

• Thursday 30th April 2020, 3:46pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,389 posts

News Revue, BBC Drama and Comedy Rooms, freelancing.

playfull

• Friday 1st May 2020, 11:56am
  • Nottingham, England
  • 1,788 posts

I agree with all the above, but would quite like to know the answer as well...

swerytd

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 11:23am
  • Guildford, England
  • 7,526 posts

NewsThump pay 60% of any advertising revenue your article generates so, yes, you get more if your article does much better. It works out about £1 for every 1000 pageviews (not Facebook likes or anything - people have to physically click through to your page for the advertising to load, and that's how you get paid.

It's not just ideas - you need to write the article. They might take an idea and write it up, but it'd better be a bloody good headline.

I believe Daily Mash pay a flat rate for articles though I have no experience of this - just previous contributors' experiences - as they've never replied to my enquiries and I don't even think their submissions page works last time I checked. Now they're on telly, you'd be hard pushed to get in there without a contact, I imagine.

Dan

TheTrashBat

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 12:42pm [Edited]
  • Dorset, United Kingdom
  • 80 posts

Newsthump paId nothing for the few articles I had published. Which amazed me because they seemed pretty popular.