Lookalikes

Surprisingly good.

Is billed as docu/soap rather than a comedy in listings so didn't expect it to be so funny, but all great TV has great script, execution, directing, production/editing etc. which all come together to appear so slick it seems effortless and they've nailed it with this.

The reportage style totally works as you feel you are observing real footage, and not sure if the 'lookalikes' themselves are accomplished actors/comedians who just happen to look like certain people (maybe someone on here knows), or they learned their art because of how they look, but they are all so good and you believe that 'De Niro' actually believes he is one and the same ("you looking at me?" to Stevie Wonder - love it) and 'Brent', whose whole character by Gervais is based around a socially inept manager who tries too hard to be funny, so isn't - being played by a lookalike who bombs by trying too hard to be him and funny is genius.

Inspiring.
:P

I think it's excellent. It certainly shocked me. Very very talented people put to use in a totally original way.

I was also surprised because the description made it sound like it would be crap but it was well made with lots of funny moments. I thought the Stephen Hawking impersonator was terrible though and in poor taste. I kept asking myself would Stephen himself find it funny and I doubt he would. It didn't help that he was introduced as Stephen Hawkins.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th April 2016, 11:38 AM BST

I thought the Stephen Hawking impersonator was terrible though and in poor taste. I kept asking myself would Stephen himself find it funny and I doubt he would. It didn't help that he was introduced as Stephen Hawkins.

That REALLY grinds my gears that - 'Hawkins'. Maybe was deliberate in this case, but is like people who say 'Scalectrix' when it's Scalextric", or 'expresso' instead of 'espresso', 'asterix' rather than 'asterisk' . . . I could go on.

But at least these words are not people. There should be a public flogging law for people who say 'Hawkins' as he is the most fascinating and awe inspiring person on the planet so at least show respect by getting his name right.

He, himself has a great sense of humour but that was just plain stupid. A low blow, because it couldn't even be justified by being amusing, as it wasn't even that.

Come on guys, you're better than that.

It wasn't hilarious but I quite enjoyed the surreal feeling of watching a parallel universe where these characters exist.

They are throwing the last two episodes out on Friday. Which I take to mean Channel 4 view it as a failure.

Quote: Woozie @ 20th April 2016, 6:27 PM BST

They are throwing the last two episodes out on Friday. Which I take to mean Channel 4 view it as a failure.

Perhaps - although it may also be because C4 are stripping "Flowers" across the 10pm slot all next week.

Quote: snrub @ 20th April 2016, 9:42 PM BST

Perhaps - although it may also be because C4 are stripping "Flowers" across the 10pm slot all next week.

That is ridiculous. SKY have been double-billing their shows in order to draw people to their on demand service. Not everything can be binge-watched, especially a sitcom which traditionally sticks to the same formula repeating. Not sure why Channel 4 would take such an approach. Stupid. Now I have to find half-hour every day next week to watch what was once a promising programme and as now become a bit of pain before it's even begun.

Is always a tough call if first of a series is tight, as any that follow need to be either as tight as first or better.

Tonight's were about as untight as it gets, like someone took the script outside and it blew away in a gust of wind, and as soon as a blender was involved on QVC with Ramsay we were all praying they wouldn't do the obvious and leave the lid off.

Is also pretty much just about Brent. Yawn. What they need to do is bring a genuine personality in to mix it up as loads of scenarios could develop . . . like nobody realising - anything to rescue it as it's properly floundering now like they ran out of juice and gave up.

Reminds me of Hoff The Record - first one was very good, but following episodes were just lost in a fog of confusion.

Shame.

The calendar shoot was a bit too surreal in tone compared to the rest of the show.

Quote: Woozie @ 23rd April 2016, 8:20 AM BST

The calendar shoot was a bit too surreal in tone compared to the rest of the show.

WTF was that about?! It's like they have shifted whole approach and are now parodying everything that could possibly be wrong in a really bad sitcom.

If I had been involved I would be embarrassed. Just awful.

The woman who is meant to look like Posh Spice. Yeah right. Posh Spice can only dream of looking as good as her.

Decent show, hope it gets a second series.

Quote: vinny j @ 23rd April 2016, 8:07 PM BST

Posh Spice can only dream of looking as good as her.

:D