Open submissions - Unspun

We are making a pilot for a new satire show for BBC 2 called 'Unspun'. It will be a mix of political guests, jokes and special features.

We're looking for people to join us making the show; creating content, writing material and coming up with ideas for show features. If that sounds like the kind of thing you're into then we'd like to hear from you.

If you are a writer or writer/performer then we'd like you to get involved. There are opportunities for both writers and performers on the show.

If you'd like to be considered then please send us the following two things:

1.A side of A4 topical writing which gives us a flavour of your writing style, personality, interest in politics and popular culture.
This is completely open to your interpretation so long as it's topical, we don't mind what form you use. We are looking for both strong humour and an understanding of how to structure your bits so please do make whatever you do have shape.

2. Two ideas that you think would fit well in this satire based show.
These would be a self-contained section that would occur in every episode across a series. The best versions of these are original and most importantly, simple. In tone these ideas can be as 'straight' or as silly as you like. It's up to you.

We are not interested in previous work, experience, or any of that: These are blind submissions We are looking for the people who best fit this show so it's important we get a feel for your style. Don't try to second-guess what tone this show will be; make things in your voice.

Please send your submissions to info@avalonuk.com by the closing date of 31st January 2016.
Please write - UNSPUN - OPEN SUBMISSION ENTRY - in the subject line of the email.

For the avoidance of doubt, submission will not alter or effect your ownership of the rights in your own work in any way.

Welcome to the guide Avalon. Thanks for all the info. I might give this a try.

I noticed a tweet yesterday from Matt Forde it looks like he's either the main presenter or one of the main presenters. So a topical comedy show hosted by the last comedian in Britain who is still happy to identify himself as a Blairite. Should be interesting.

Less I must confess that is the one slight problem I have with the whole thing, but then again I suppose I you trying to get into the comedy writing business you are going to have to work with people whose views you are not always going to agree with.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 23rd December 2015, 6:36 AM GMT

with people whose views you are not always going to agree with.

Why's Andrew Lloyd Webber full of shit? Can't get Ben Elton's tongue out of his arshole.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 23rd December 2015, 6:36 AM GMT

Less I must confess that is the one slight problem I have with the whole thing, but then again I suppose I you trying to get into the comedy writing business you are going to have to work with people whose views you are not always going to agree with.

That is also true of most jobs, surely. People living in an echo chamber of their own views will do them no good at all. Look at how shocked and upset people were back in May when all of their Twitter friends turned out to not be representative of the majority.

Surely you would just have to see who are Facebook friends with their Tory MP?

The closing date is end of Jan - should the topical writing be totally up-to-date, recent news? Or can it for example be topical/satirical writing from last year?

Ho-hum. Another hair-splitter. Topical, always means topical now-else why mention it? It can possibly be about a month or so old, or updated version of an old sketch as long as it's topical, now.

Anyone else had an e-mail saying material's been passed to the producers who may or may not want to use as their comedy bitch?

Use "you" or "one" I mean. This writing in sentences doesnae get any easier.Doh!

Quote: Jaicee @ 9th January 2016, 1:09 PM GMT

Anyone else had an e-mail saying material's been passed to the producers who may or may not want to use as their comedy bitch?

Use "you" or "one" I mean. This writing in sentences doesnae get any easier.Doh!

Nice to see you are still going Jaicee.

Yup, I got the confirmation Email too. All bodily parts crossed. My dad's.

They do reply quickly.

I applied on Sunday, and haven't had a reply. Should I be worried?

Try checking your spam folder?