Not Many Sketch Shows on these days....help needed

Request for Help
I'm writing an MA about comedy.
Research Question;

"Our TV screens are filled with various types reality TV What has been the response of the TV comedy writer and producer" ?

One of the points would like to make is that thee aren't very many Sketch shows on any more ? Does any one have any idea hay this is ? It can't be just reality TV shows! I'm looking for an ideas and quote.

Many Thanks

Perky I'm working on a reality TV show about a guy who gets a job at McDonalds because he crowdsourced the research for his MA.

But a few answers.

1 More expensive, they require multiple sets most sitcoms only need a couple. Also improvements in technology make it easier to film outside.

2 You're on the wrong track. It's not reality shows that killed sketch shows, it's panel shows. One set, one writer (for the host) filmed in a studio, cheap as chips and about as funny.

3 The format was looking dated. It's hey day was in the 1970s-80s there's only so many sketch shows jokes you can come up with.

4 It's alive and well on radio 4.

Quote: Perky @ 27th October 2015, 7:13 AM GMT

Request for Help
Research Question;

"Our TV screens are filled with various types reality TV What has been the response of the TV comedy writer and producer" ?

One of the points would like to make is that thee aren't very many Sketch shows on any more ? Does any one have any idea hay this is ? It can't be just reality TV shows! I'm looking for an ideas and quote.

Many Thanks

I repeat, which University are you studying at?

I'm looking for an ideas and quote.

I thought University was about original thought ? Maybe that's why sketch shows are mainly repeats and reality TV all looks the same. You should quote "TheBlueNun". ;)

You want a quote?

I'll mow your lawn for £50 dressed as Britney Spears, if you let me sing Toxic I'll do it for free.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 27th October 2015, 9:30 AM GMT

I thought University was about original thought ? Maybe that's why sketch shows are mainly repeats and reality TV all looks the same. You should quote "TheBlueNun". ;)

Me too. I had to wade through loads of weighty tomes and journals for my history BA. Now I mind of feel cheated. Will anyone help me with my postgraduate certificate in autism studies?

Quote: sootyj @ 27th October 2015, 9:46 AM GMT

You want a quote?

I'll mow your lawn for £50 dressed as Britney Spears, if you let me sing Toxic I'll do it for free.

Yes! I'm offering £37.49 and the chance to dress as 'The Captain' from that popular 70s duo 'The Captain and Tenielle'.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th October 2015, 8:38 AM GMT

Perky I'm working on a reality TV show about a guy who gets a job at McDonalds because he crowdsourced the research for his MA.

But a few answers.

1 More expensive, they require multiple sets most sitcoms only need a couple. Also improvements in technology make it easier to film outside.

2 You're on the wrong track. It's not reality shows that killed sketch shows, it's panel shows. One set, one writer (for the host) filmed in a studio, cheap as chips and about as funny.

3 The format was looking dated. It's hey day was in the 1970s-80s there's only so many sketch shows jokes you can come up with.

Many Thanks for this Sooty J

The format was looking dated. It's hey day was in the 1970s-80s there's only so many sketch shows jokes you can come up with.

Maybe earlier? The Yorkshiremen sketch was written in the 60s and the Pythons started in 1969. There was also Frost Report.

Have you thought of blackmailing the PM, Perky?

there's only so many sketch shows jokes you can come up with.

On the other hand, there's no limit to the number of sketch show jokes you can come up with..

I'm sure that 'cost' and 'not taking risks' will be bigger factors.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 27th October 2015, 11:53 AM GMT

Me too. I had to wade through loads of weighty tomes and journals for my history BA. Now I mind of feel cheated. Will anyone help me with my postgraduate certificate in autism studies?

I got my B.A. in Baracus. I wrote an interesting thesis on how I ain't gettin' on no plane. I hope this is of some help to you Blue.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 31st October 2015, 12:53 AM GMT

I got my B.A. in Baracus. I wrote an interesting thesis on how I ain't gettin' on no plane. I hope this is of some help to you Blue.

You're on fire these days Dougie. I'll take your comments at 'Face' value.

Request for Help
Research Question;

Many Thanks

I think as they are hit and miss TV producers are not taking a chance on them especially after Watson and Oliver did not do well.

I listen to Sketcharama on Radio 4 when it is on and it is clear that sketch comedy is in wild abundance on the radio. There was one group whose sketch included a burglary and at the end the girl said How was your burglary today? Was it a .......... Hilarious. I just wish I could remember all the names but if you like new sketch comedy this is the radio programme to listen to I would say.

One troupe who should have had their own BBC2 show by now are the Penny Dreadfuls with Humphrey Ker, David Reed and Thom Tuck. Hilarious. I laugh out loud to everything they do.

Also surprised John Finnemore has not been tasked with writing something as the man is so talented he can turn his hand to anything. Serious two handers, sketch comedy and sit coms. He can write anything well.

I have also been listening to The Pin on Radio 4 and only singling these out as they are on the radio now.

But a few answers.

I disagree it is dated but do agree it is alive and well on radio 4. Good sketch comedy is excellent.

Live at the Electric gave Wit Tank, poor name for such a good group, and Jigsaw an outing but I have heard very little from these since.

I am sure if the Penny Dreadfuls, Wit Tank or Jigsaw were given their own show they could make it work but they need to be given the chance first.

TV needs to listen to the radio as radio have had great sketch comedy and sit coms such as The Castle and Cabin Pressure.

I'd suggest the reason for the lack of sketch shows may be due to a degree of gentrification of comedy on T.V. Luckily there is plenty of new and fresh content online to dig your buttery claws into. I'd suggest starting with Butty Hands, mainly because its my channel but there is also a good chance you might like it. https://buttyhands.com/

IF you're looking to promo your work you might do better just putting up your own thread in Showcase.