The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman

This IFC (Independent Film Channel) gem has just wrapped up its second season and is an absurdly stellar show that almost nobody has heard of so I thought I would share it with the people who would appreciate it the most, sitcom fans. Laura Kightlinger stars as a slacker magazine writer hoping to parlay her current job into an optioned movie screenplay but her ambivalence and too honest personality keeps sabotaging her efforts. She fluctuates between optimism and cynicism with the latter often winning. Although she's in L.A. she refuses to drive, which is a duty relegated to her easily manipulated and not too bright friend Tara who gets by on her looks and sheer luck and is sucked into a California style cult in the first episode. It reminds me of Absolutely Fabulous due to the duo's decadent lives of perpetual drugs and continuous hook-ups and also an absurd version of The Office when the two are at their perspective work places--in the second season Jackie and her co-workers are happily destroying their brain cells and getting high by huffing spray paint leaving it all over their faces as they spray it directly into their noses. Jackie epitomizes the narcissistic self-indulgence of many Americans from her spending her $10,000 grant check to make a film about the Native American peyote ceremony on a boutique bought cape and sunglasses or when she goes along with pretending she has cancer because it can help promote her career. Their peyote trip is priceless. If you're looking for something new that's in the dark comedy genre you've found your treat.

The first season is out on dvd and there are clips at IFC's page.