Boy Meets Girl - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th September 2015, 10:54 PM BST

Casting her as Judy was a very wise move as she has single-handedly saved this series from going down in history as nothing more than a sermon disguised as a sitcom.

My heart goes out to her in every scene as her pain is almost palpable.

I know what you mean.

Quote: zooo @ 20th September 2015, 1:10 PM BST

I've seen dads very cuddly with kids up until maybe 12/13. I imagine it's the kid that doesn't want to do it anymore after that point.

I didn't find it distasteful, just unusual! I thought maybe one of the writers had that kind of relationship with their dad and wanted put it in. (So to speak.)

It was supposed to be a 'controversial' sitcom but not for the fact that adult kids cuddle up to their parents! :)

I think it's struggled to find the balance between being a sitcom and dealing with the transgender issues. At times, it's too heavy on one or the other. So far it's really struggling to get both families to meet up for plausible reasons. The lunch date and the beauty salon being prime examples. Neither seemed very plausible and the whole point of the show is to deal with a very real issue.

In the latest episode, as Leo and Judy prepare to have sex for the first time together, he can't bring himself to let it happen - because she used to be a man.

Er, hello-o-o-o-o-o-o? What happened to her being 'the one'.

If we (and the writers) cast our minds back, after she told Leo all about herself on their first date, he wasn't even remotely fazed by her transgender status. On the contrary, he was totally besotted by her and thought she might be 'the one' for him.

But now it seems, as sexual intercourse is about to become a reality for them, he sees her as a bloke in a dress.

Oh, but wait! His dad has just reminded him how besotted he was on their first date and he now sees her as a woman and a future wife again.

You couldn't make it up.

Well, not unless you were a seriously bad writer.

Seemed perfectly natural and believable to me.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th September 2015, 11:26 PM BST

Seemed perfectly natural and believable to me.

If he'd done a runner from the restaurant as soon as she told him she used to be a bloke, that would have seemed perfectly natural and believable to millions of viewers - including me.

I'm not suggesting that's how he should have reacted, merely that such a reaction wouldn't have surprised anyone, least of all Judy.

If he'd then felt bad about doing a runner and had asked her out again and had continued to date her and had since been doing his best to come to terms with her transgender status, the latest episode's shenanigans would have seemed a LOT more natural and believable.

However, following his immediate acceptance of her transgender status on their first date and all that subsequent kissing, I didn't find tonight's 'nerves' at all believable.

That's a good point, it was a very immediate acceptance, which does seem to jar slightly in comparison. But I do still think it's one thing to be mentally and emotionally okay with the idea of it, and quite another to be okay when faced with the stark reality. And let's face it, he didn't then run away from her, he was just confronted by something he'd evidently not given a lot of thought to, because he was so focused on the current relationship.

This week's episode was definitely idiot friendly - the dad's talk, I said the dialogue before he did it was so obvious - then the whole cliche formulaic plot to cater for the masses.

What are other posters' thoughts about BMG developing into a second series? Where would it go?

Don't forget this has already been handled tactfully in the I.T Crowd.

I think this was the episode.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-it-crowd/on-demand/45363-004

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 26th September 2015, 5:18 PM BST

What are other posters' thoughts about BMG developing into a second series? Where would it go?

Nowhere fast.

I suppose it all depends how this series finishes.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2015, 9:13 PM BST

I suppose it all depends how this series finishes.

Let's hope it ends with a bang, for Judy's sake if for no other reason.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th September 2015, 11:09 PM BST

Let's hope it ends with a bang, for Judy's sake if for no other reason.

Hopefully, although I note that Leo only had a single bed.

Much the same comic territory as any other series about a blossoming romance.

If this gets a second series, I shall lose all faith in the BBC.

I mean, it's bloody awful in every way apart from its intention to shed a little sympathetic light upon the transgenger community.

And the very worst crime committed by the writers is this:

From the start, the message appeared to be "Judy is a girl who was born with a few extra bits that have now been removed. She is most certainly not a docker in a frock."

And, true to that promise, Judy conducted herself from the start in an entirely feminine fashion: her voice, her facial expressions and her mannerisms were everything we might expect them to be if she were indeed a bona fide girl.

All was going well until the scene in the bowling alley with the two bullying bigots.

They gave Judy a real slagging off for being transgender and what did she do?

Did she burst into tears as a real girly girl might do?

Did she destroy them with an incisive stream of verbal wizardry as a mature, brave, articulate woman might do?

No, she laid one of them out cold with a single punch - exactly as a docker in a frock might do.

It was at that point that the writers went in my estimation from 'naive' to 'absolutely f***ing clueless'.

Please let us have no more of this series.