What are you reading right now? Page 159

Quote: Harridan @ August 20 2012, 12:50 PM BST

No, I haven't...I've been very good at putting it off and finding other things to do, which isn't clever as I have a load of other books to read too! I intend to finish it before Friday, which allows me some time to say 'oh, screw this' and watch TV.

Ha, before Friday. Great Crusoe pun there.

*facepalm* Didn't even notice.

Quote: Badge @ August 20 2012, 1:12 PM BST

Ha, before Friday. Great Crusoe pun there.

Laughing out loud Genius

Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear

Hello DuckAvenger is it a good read and welcome to the site!

Quote: Harridan @ August 20 2012, 1:18 PM BST

*facepalm* Didn't even notice.

Funny and humble.

The Man in the Iron Mask: The True Story of the Four Musketeers by Roger MacDonald. History is much more fun than anything Alexandre Dumas dreamt up; he completely missed the bit where the fourteen year old King of France is forcibly buggered by Cardinal Mazzarin, or where his Queen, after an affair with a footman, gives birth to a baby 'black as ink'. As for D'Artagnan no woman was safe (or wanted to be)...

Reading Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell and thoroughly enjoying the main characters unhinged rage with money.

My to be read pile is 22 high. Not literally high, they are more in a shelf formation.
But might be a good idea to actually read them instead of keep buying more.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 20 2012, 8:59 PM BST

The Man in the Iron Mask: The True Story of the Four Musketeers by Roger MacDonald. History is much more fun than anything Alexandre Dumas dreamt up; he completely missed the bit where the fourteen year old King of France is forcibly buggered by Cardinal Mazzarin, or where his Queen, after an affair with a footman, gives birth to a baby 'black as ink'. As for D'Artagnan no woman was safe (or wanted to be)...

Gosh. They didn't tell us that in the French History lectures. :O

Quote: zooo @ August 20 2012, 9:08 PM BST

My to be read pile is 22 high. Not literally high, they are more in a shelf formation.

That's my biggest problem by FAR. I've imposed a sort of self-ban on myself until I've actually read all 9 of my un-read books.

Quote: zooo @ August 20 2012, 9:08 PM BST

22? mines at about a hundred! I've been collecting books I want to read for years but I buy them more quickly than I can read them because I'm usually having to read for a course! I keep trying to stop myself buying any more but book shops are my favourite places.

Reminds me of a recent trip into an oxfam for books - I was interested to find a shelf marked "women's studies" which impressed me, because most actual bookshops don't have a women's studies section. On closer inspection the shelf contained cookbooks and housekeeping guides. >_< I couldn't work out if it was a joke or if someone had just disastrously misunderstood the term.

Well, 22 brand new shiny books. Loads of second hand ones I haven't read yet but I'm not crawling around counting those.

Womens studies

Sounds like a mucky book shop

Quote: Harridan @ August 20 2012, 10:38 PM BST

Reminds me of a recent trip into an oxfam for books - I was interested to find a shelf marked "women's studies" which impressed me, because most actual bookshops don't have a women's studies section. On closer inspection the shelf contained cookbooks and housekeeping guides. >_< I couldn't work out if it was a joke or if someone had just disastrously misunderstood the term.

Lolll. Probably some old lady slightly getting it wrong.

Quote: keewik @ August 20 2012, 9:47 PM BST

Gosh. They didn't tell us that in the French History lectures. :O

So few lecturers know how to engage their audience's interest.