Couch Potato Club

Where is everyone? I'm starting to think some of you have "life's".

I don't actually watch that much telly, but I can't deny I watch more then is normal.

HEAVEN

I love comedy too much to miss it, plus it's like a educational tool, I learn how to pace jokes and what works and what doesn't.

My other love is the natural history programs. I love wildlife, it fascinates me to bits. I can't get enough of the Attenborough and shows like The Blue Planet or Planet Earth just make me melt like a big girl being kissed by Johnny Depp, weird analogy, yes.

My other, other love is the big budget popcorn American dramas. Yes they are mindless, but by gum, so am I. Favourites include, Prison Break, Lost and Heroes. Prison Break being my favourite, it lots its edge when they escaped, but it found a new one one the run.

I'll mention a TV show; QI, gawd this is lovely, lol, lovely, lovely, lovely, I would go gay for Fry :P But seriously this is just a fantastic show, I hope it runs for many years, 26 would be nice :)

This is a bit like TV Heaven, Telly Hell, without the annoying catchphrases, says Leevil eating a sandwich.

HELL

I hate 24/7 based reality shows, although, thank God, they seem to be fading away, albeit slowly, but surely. I'm not talking about the talent shows like X Factor either, as long as they stay in the studio they are fine by me, I even watched the X Factor auditions, but beyond that it doesn't interest me, but it doesn't bother me either.

Chat Shows, f**k me, mindless lovey fest, I'll admit to watching Ross and he is a brown noser, but I like him, but everything else I hate, be it Parky to the painful 5'Oclock showers of shit!

MTV, just what the f**k has that turned into? What happened to the music? F**k me, all the MTV shows are f**king depressing; 'I want a famous Face' encouraging mentally ill people to have plastic surgery to look like their idols. Jackass/Dirty Sanchez, now I'm obviously a prude but what the hell are these shows about? I'll admit I did like Jackass at one point, but after a while it is just sad, really sad.

*and relax*

Wave

I'll replace the wildlife shizzle with history. Time Team is great of course. How London Was Built, Disappearing London, The Tube (notice a theme here?). Those What The ... Did For Us shows were good of course. And more traditional, 'straight' shows too.

And I do miss those light-hearted entertainment shows we used to have on Saturday nights. Big Break, The Generation Game, Noel's House Party. Great TV! :D

Not so hot on the big-budget dramas myself. Did love the first few series' of 24 though. And Desperate Housewives. And Ugly Betty, if you want to count that. Can't think of any others I've even watched though, let alone liked.

Do quite like some of the British ones though. Jonathan Creek of course, again if that counts. Monarch Of The Glen (until Archie and Lexie left, obviously).

I don't really mind some of the reality-type shows, like DIY SOS, Homes Under The Hammer, and of course the IMMENSE To Buy Or Not To Buy. But all other forms make me want to kill.

Chat shows I could take or leave to be honest. FNWJR can be pretty funny at times, but my life wouldn't collapse without it.

And I have a TV addiction. No shame in admitting it.

Oh, and news. I love the news. BBC London News mainly. Actually, current affairs in general. The Daily Politics, Question Time, This Week, and of course if it doesn't clash with comedy, Newsnight. Politics documentaries are great too.

I'm sure more will come to me.

I've just got back full of curry. Mmmmm.

I don't watch a lot of TV. Got a lot of DVD's of old show though. Fave show ever is the Avengers. Also like the prisoner, the man from uncle, Randell and Hopkirk (The original), and the A team. Also love 80's kids shows.

When I do watch tv, I do watch a lot of trashy stuff for the irony (honest!). Quite likes shows such as Family guy, The Tick, Adult swim, Daria etc. Also like watching 120 minutes on MTV and old ads on sumo tv. Best so far was a 50's information film warning children to be on the look out for homosexuals. Billy never saw that bearded tramp coming.....anywhooo..... Comedy wise I like a lot of surreal stuff. Love anything with Ade Edmondson in. Mock the week, buzzcocks, and friday night project too.

My hell is Gillian McKeith.

Also a Chris Martin marathon would kill me.

Yes, I'm with you on the history programs, although I don't watch them as much as I'd like to. But if we're talking general history, I do love those Behind the Music types of shows, obviously more about the bands from the past and their influence on music history and not the ones about Rihanna's 1 year in music, The Rise and Rise of Rihanna - Is this about music or an STD?

Not to keen on the DIY Shows, although they are easy pre-watershed viewing I suppose.

And the news, well that just scares me, ignorance is bliss.

History channel drives me mad. When I visit the folks, the overlord has it on full blast and god forbid you ever want to see anything else. Suprised the Motherships gets her weekly Boston legal.

I don't watch the History Channel, as I think I've seen enough about Hitler and Hindenburg.

I do watch the others though, randomly. I like the How do you do that? Programmes.

I quite like UKTV History, but they seem to just have about half a dozen shows on constant repeat at the moment, so I've not really watched it in a while.

Re the DIY shows, I wouldn't say I'm a fan. At all. Some are tolerable, however.

And I don't know about a marathon killing me, but I'd quite gladly kill Chris Martin. The c**t.

All of the UKTV channels seem to be on a monthly cycle, especially Living.

:P

Boom boom.

Anyway, strictly speaking, Living isn't actually part of the UKTV network.

The must see history documentaries are

A History of Briton (Simon Schama)
The World at War
The Fall of Kosovo/Milosovic
RFK (Storyville)
The War of the World

My TV tastes revolve around all comedy as the bad stuff is just a useful as the good stuff, ER Amazing and Footbal cos i'm a manly man with a man's needs.

I need to look at other men in shorts?

Heaven ~
Doctor Who, Torchwood, all that bollocks.
Comedy panel topical news quiz shows - cannot find one I won't watch.
Geeky people talking - ie QI, University Challenge. I think Johnny Ball started me on that in the 80s.

Hell ~
Phone ins.
Anything where the public are invited to phone in and speak, and that includes everything from live late night roulette to Matthew Wright. That show is fine until they allow right wing twats who cannot form a sentence without stuttering and mumbling to take up half the show.
There is a reason these people are part of the public and not TV presenters: they make TV hurt.

Quote: Leevil @ September 22, 2007, 11:36 PM

All of the UKTV channels seem to be on a monthly cycle, especially Living.

:P

That took me two hours to get.

Quote: zooo @ September 23, 2007, 12:50 AM

Anything where the public are invited to phone in and speak, and that includes everything from live late night roulette to Matthew Wright. That show is fine until they allow right wing twats who cannot form a sentence without stuttering and mumbling to take up half the show.
There is a reason these people are part of the public and not TV presenters: they make TV hurt.

OMG!! I couldn't agree more! It's the most horrible and offensive thing they can do, the general public are idiots and the people that phone in are even worse!

It makes me laugh when Matthew Wright gets bored and cuts them off, ooo that's satisfying.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ September 23, 2007, 12:54 AM

That took me two hours to get.

You should see a doctor Ruby