There are only 7 types of sketch Page 2

Quote: Tursiops @ 17th October 2014, 7:21 PM BST

He asked for sketch types, not favourite sexual positions.

Another Laughing out loud from me

Quote: Tursiops @ 17th October 2014, 7:21 PM BST

He asked for sketch types, not favourite sexual positions.

a belated booyah

I see there was a previous thread on this subject: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/13415/

I'm not sure if there is a limited number of sketch types.

I've usually heard it expressed that there is a limited number of types of jokes or gags.

Now many sketches will contain only one gag, but not necessarily all do.

Recent sketch shows, from 'the fast show' onwards I would say, tended to go for the quickfire one gag skit - often even just the catchphrase. But older sketches could go on for some time. For this they required a range of different gags.

So to my mind, there are certain limits to what basic jokes there are out there. But I'm not sure sketches can be categorised in that way.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 23rd April 2015, 12:15 AM BST

I'm not sure if there is a limited number of sketch types.

I've usually heard it expressed that there is a limited number of types of jokes or gags.

Forget the word "limited". You could choose unlimited categories if you want, but I'm sure you could find lots of sketches which more or less fit into the categories suggested in this thread, couldn't you? My original question was "if you had to choose 7 (or 10 or whatever) types, what would they be?" Note the use of the word 'whatever'; you're quite welcome to suggest thousands of categories.