Any help for a Scriptwring Student?

Hello people,

My name is Stefan Armitage, and I'm a MA in Scriptwriting student at Bath Spa University.
I am currently in the process of writing a paper about how new writers break into the television industry, with the primary focus being on Sitcom and Comedy-Drama.
Are there any people here who have had any experience submitting scripts/producing scripts/editing scripts etc.
I would really appreciate if people could answer some questions I have on writing comedy for the TV industry.

Thanking you!

Morning. If you go through the relevant threads you'll find several here who write for the Beeb and the odd BBC editor and producer. Maybe you could PM them?

For a general overview of opinion on the subject tho, if that's good enough for your thesis (and I don't think it should be overlooked), scan these and the sitcom threads for the damning view on how the Beeb are blatantly ignoring fresh writing talent (and rejecting established writing talent) to pander to their trendy new friends in standup.

If you're able to fully follow this lead (and you should) please send copies of your thesis to BBC bigwigs and The Spectator. There are a few publications waiting for an indepth study on this to publish.

:D

Since we didn't go to university, we do not understand the meaning of this word "survey". We understand it has something to do with getting someone else to do the work? And for some reason not pay them?

It's not too late to go to University Paul, don't put yourself down. Intelligence and application are all that is required (A loan from the bank is available too nowadays just for this purpose). Sometimes it's just ourselves holding ourselves back. The trick to to make a change. Make things happen for you!

I am, and it involves not doing free surveys!

He never used the word survey. And you really have no idea how film courses work do you? Or come to that getting pilots/films made too either. Free isn't always a dirty word old bean. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Alfred, you make a great point about scanning all these forums! It's the opinions of beginning/novice/first-time writers I'm after too! Not just experienced writers - so reading about their frustrations will be extremely useful.

And you're right Marc - 'free' is not a dirty word! Neither is 'help', 'support' or 'encouragement'. It's great when writers that are all in the same boat can support each other. Networking and communication is very important in this industry.

And Paul. Bless you. Luckily people like Raymond Allen or Christopher William Hill (Now, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've heard of them), didn't mind giving up their time for me and provide me with some information. And seeing as you are the sort of person that believes 'nothing gets you nothing', I am baffled as to why you'd join a forum anyway? And it's odd how you'd list 'Education' as one of your 'Causes I care about' on your LinkdIn profile - and yet you feel you cannot provide this cause without a price tag. Never mind. You keep scraping those dollars together on your odesk account. Maybe I'll fork out $5 for you to write me a witty Tweet one day.

Thanks, Stefan.

Or you could join Elance or ODesk and help pay for your course? Hope you get the info you require anyway.

Marc might be quite knowledgeable on script writing matters?

He might be? or he might just be talking bollocks. Who knows? Probably a bit of both.

When I did my course at Bournemouth Uni, meanwhile, Stefan I got a British and Hollywood star, brilliant comedic actor - who did it it for nothing and drove down from Stratford at his own expense. Mainly it was great fun. I got him by phoning his agent and then phoning him.

I don't think there is any right way to break in but given the number of people trying to it behoves one, I would suggest, to be as pro-active and prepared as possible. People in the industry aren't really looking to train you on the job as it were.

Cheers guys.

Marc, that is a great story! Bournemouth Uni was another choice of mine, so it's good to hear people found it more than useful to them.

Is there any chance you'd be happy to answer a few more questions over private messages? I'd love to hear about your other experiences.

Ask any questions here is fine Stefan.

Okay, in the most nicest possible way, I never wanted to use this forum format as a platform for the question/answers to be discussed; as I'd love to know more about you as a writer, and I don't feel the forum is appropriate for this. If you have a change of heart and are happy to PM, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Notorious MP has in my experience always been willing to chat with his neonates by PM, so PM MP, he's like a more avuncular and less rapey Uncle Monty.

funny you should mention Uncle Monty ;) But yes.