American versus British sitcoms Page 4

Quote: JokerRex @ 7th July 2014, 10:48 AM BST

Personally I think I prefer British comedies, maybe because I'm British...

That's interesting. Personally I prefer Human comedies, maybe that's because I'm human?

That's not to say I don't enjoy comedies from other forms of life! But I'm biased as those types of shows usually include characteristics that a very human or human-like and are mostly relatable. The majority of plots and characters in TV shows are driven by the same things such as love, sex, money and greed for example. Sure, some of the cultural references maybe a little hard to understand but then again we live in a multicultural world.

I'm not saying human comedies are the best, I just personally relate to them a little more, I can sympathise with the characters easier, which when trying to relax in front of the TV, often makes it more enjoyable. Sure I like to be mentally challenged but a sitcom isn't always the best place for that.

What point am I trying to make???

You don't like rubber duck comedies? The rubber ducks are a proud people, they will prevail.

Quote: Edwin @ 10th February 2014, 9:53 AM GMT

Considering America produced the greatest sitcom of all time, I'll say American just based on that.

But America didn't produce Fawlty Towers.

It comes and goes, but during the past five years I've favoured British comedy. Some reason below:

- British shows are often written by only one or two people -> more original show settings or points of view
- Only six episodes per series and not necessarily filmed every year -> more time to focus on quality vs. quantity and more time to think up new gags
- Only six episodes per series -> creators have time to do other projects as well and don't get fed up with the show as quickly
- Only six episodes per series -> creators have time to do other projects and soon don't have time to do the original show anymore -> shows mostly end on a high
- No need for Hollywood looks as long as you're funny -> more comedians writing and performing their own material, instead of locking talent into specific categories of "writers" and "comedy actors"
- No need to present wholesome family values -> dark, twisted and profane stuff approved within limits
- And, last but not least, no kissing, hugging or learning from past mistakes

US comedies often go on far passed their sell by date. Some British ones too. Last of the Summer Wine for instance. But you can real off the US ones. Scrubs, Simpsons, M.A.S.H, Seinfeld, Friends. It's the chase of the golden buck and keep that sponsor money/advertising revenue piling in.

I made one of those pointless lists on IMDB a while ago (I say one, I've made about 80). This one was all my favourite comedy shows. 76 shows, 38 were sitcoms. Just did a count:

Sitcoms = 38
British = 32
American = 6

The american shows were Police Squad, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, The Office and Curb You Enthusiasm

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 2nd August 2014, 12:24 AM BST

The american shows were Police Squad, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, The Office and Curb You Enthusiasm

Not Taxi ?

As far as what's been on in 2013-2014 that's good...

American: Brooklyn Nine Nine, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, Eastbound and Down, Mixology (well, it was alright), It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Workaholics.

British: People Just Do Nothing. The Walshes was alright. Uncle wasn't awful.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 2nd August 2014, 1:22 AM BST

Not Taxi ?

Taxi is pretty good. But it's a bit too worthy sometimes, and the characters range from great to irritating. With Cheers, the only regular I wasn't that keen on was Diane, with Taxi, there's 3 or 4 characters that didn't really work for me.