More British Accents on U.S. TV? Page 2

I agree. Our humour is also very much about self-deprecation.

As I recall, the US Fawlty Towers crashed and burned three times. I wonder why that was.

Quote: Arakhor @ August 31, 2007, 12:46 AM

As I recall, the US Fawlty Towers crashed and burned three times. I wonder why that was.

Did you see it? It was a rude fest. Take all the mean qualities Basil Fawlty had and ignore the fact that deep down the guy meant well and was actually not too bad if you didn't have to deal with him in a business setting. American sitcoms don't usually have that depth of character.

-Erik

Quote: Erik @ August 31, 2007, 12:53 AM

Take all the mean qualities Basil Fawlty had and ignore the fact that deep down the guy meant well and was actually not too bad if you didn't have to deal with him in a business setting.

Ah, that's what I love about Basil - just a man struggling in a job he is no good at - the fact is, it's all the bloody peasants' fault. Some of those prols were the cause of his frustrations. I am very empathetic!

(Can you tell I've worked in the hotel industry?)

Quote: Arakhor @ August 31, 2007, 12:01 AM

They can't have blacks or Asians without being racist, they can't have Arabs or Israelis because then they're anti-Moslem or anti-Semitic and now that Communism is no longer the big bear, Russian and Chinese villains are also out of the picture.

What about the Germans? Or the French? No one likes the French.

Quote: Erik @ August 31, 2007, 12:12 AM

I'm American and whenever I think about Laurie's accent I think of his chicken impression in Blackadder III. Now that's a perfect accent!

-Erik

Luck luck luck cluck luck cluck cluck cluck cluck.