Meaning of Liff at 30

Has anyone else submitted any Liffs for this?

Just wondering if we will hear beforehand if we got any in. As far as I can remember its on Thursday Feb 28th on bbc radio 4.

I submitted a few liffs.
I was contacted by the show's producer about five o'clock last Friday. She said one of mine had made it to broadcast, so I'm presuming all successful contributors have now been contacted.

The trouble with this book is that years after mislaying it you wonder "Were Didcots hole punches? What place is the leather patches?"

Ah, thanks for that. So its a no to my Liffs. Well done Mikey Jackson though :)

Cheers. :)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 18 2013, 4:46 PM GMT

I submitted a few liffs.
I was contacted by the show's producer about five o'clock last Friday. She said one of mine had made it to broadcast, so I'm presuming all successful contributors have now been contacted.

Just listened to yours (Clavering) at 13:58 on iPlayer.

Well done Mikey.

These were the ones of mine they didn't choose:

Binchester Blocks (n.): An ailment predominantly afflicting vagrants whose oft-crusted undergarments, 'square off' haemorrhoids betweens November and February

Cambo (v.b): To shout disparaging remarks at a Scotsman whilst eating condensed soup.

Clenchwarton (n.): An improvised tucking tool, traditionally made from a duck's bill, or mole's hip, used in the homeopathic treatment of Binchester Blocks.

Curry Rivel (n.) The hand signal used by waiters in traditional Bradford curry houses to identify those loud patrons, who ask for chipped potatoes, as likely candidates for the 'off- the-Scoville-scale' House Murder Sauce.

Duntisbourne Leer (vb.) A facial expression used by method actors or female impersonators to convey the discomfort of an ill-fitting girdle or the presence of dust-affected mice.

Durdle Door (v.): An unnecessarily lightweight door on a public toilet cubicle in a gentleman's convenience which has been crudely 'aerated' by unknown means, almost always at waist height.

Grimpo (v.): Generic term to describe a tribute act whose attempts to emulate 1930's sibling comedy ensembles fall short of the mark.

Quote: Will Cam @ March 5 2013, 10:30 PM GMT

Just listened to yours (Clavering) at 13:58 on iPlayer.

Well done Mikey.

These were the ones of mine they didn't choose:

Binchester Blocks (n.): An ailment predominantly afflicting vagrants whose oft-crusted undergarments, 'square off' haemorrhoids betweens November and February

Cambo (v.b): To shout disparaging remarks at a Scotsman whilst eating condensed soup.

Clenchwarton (n.): An improvised tucking tool, traditionally made from a duck's bill, or mole's hip, used in the homeopathic treatment of Binchester Blocks.

Curry Rivel (n.) The hand signal used by waiters in traditional Bradford curry houses to identify those loud patrons, who ask for chipped potatoes, as likely candidates for the 'off- the-Scoville-scale' House Murder Sauce.

Duntisbourne Leer (vb.) A facial expression used by method actors or female impersonators to convey the discomfort of an ill-fitting girdle or the presence of dust-affected mice.

Durdle Door (v.): An unnecessarily lightweight door on a public toilet cubicle in a gentleman's convenience which has been crudely 'aerated' by unknown means, almost always at waist height.

Grimpo (v.): Generic term to describe a tribute act whose attempts to emulate 1930's sibling comedy ensembles fall short of the mark.

Maybe they were rejected for being too wordy? The whole point of definitions is that they should be to the point, surely?

Removed.

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 6 2013, 9:23 AM GMT

Maybe they were rejected for being too wordy? The whole point of definitions is that they should be to the point, surely?

After listening to the program I would say that is a fair point fair point Tim.

Your 'Burstow' Otterfox seemed to be the exact thing they were looking for :D

Well done Mikey. Out of interest, was this an open door opportunity and if so where was it advertised? I hadn't heard of it.

EDIT. As you were, I've found details on the BCG website.

Quote: Badge @ March 6 2013, 11:32 AM GMT

Well done Mikey. Out of interest, was this an open door opportunity and if so where was it advertised? I hadn't heard of it.

EDIT. As you were, I've found details on the BCG website.

Yep, it was mentioned on BCG as a news item.

The opportunity wasn't advertised as open door as such, i.e. it never appeared on the Writersroom opps page. By what they were saying on the programme, it was more geared towards Radio 4 listeners rather than writers in general.

Quote: Will Cam @ March 5 2013, 10:30 PM GMT

:D That's just plain barmy. Ah, but we've all been there. :)

**EDIT** Spelling error, oops.

Really liked Will Cams 'Cambo' and 'Durdle Door'. Both made me giggle.