What are you watching on TV? Page 1,343

Quote: DaButt @ January 8 2011, 4:05 PM GMT

I know people who have been attacked by moose

Moose ARE bastards.

Quote: zooo @ January 8 2011, 4:02 PM GMT

All I'm actually saying is that it's wrong for people to do it who think it makes them clever to be able to win in a battle between an animal with a gun and an animal without.
So by definition, I'm not even talking about the ones that do it without thinking that.

I don't see what there is to disagree with.

I'm kind of with you and I'm not. I don't have a moral problem with those people, as long as they're playing by the rules. They are f**king stupid though. I can't see the glory in it.

I think non-Americans may not understand just how massive our deer population is. Texas has the largest deer population in the country; the countryside nearby has one deer for every 10 acres of land. I live in a suburban neighborhood and I see deer every night of the year. They jump the 6-foot fence around my back yard and eat my vegetables. I see at least one dead deer on the side of the road every 3 or 4 days on the 2 miles of road near my house.

Wikipedia explains the benefits of conservation-based hunting programs very well:

A century ago, commercial exploitation, unregulated hunting and poor land-use practices, including deforestation severely depressed deer populations in much of their range. For example, by about 1930, the U.S. population was thought to number about 300,000. After an outcry by hunters and other conservation ecologists, commercial exploitation of deer became illegal and conservation programs along with regulated hunting were introduced. Recent estimates put the deer population in the United States at around 30 million. Conservation practices have proved so successful that, in parts of their range, the white-tailed deer populations currently far exceed their carrying capacity and the animal may be considered a nuisance. Motor vehicle collisions with deer are a serious problem in many parts of the animal's range, especially at night and during rutting season, causing injuries and fatalities among both deer and humans. Vehicular damage can be substantial in some cases. At high population densities, farmers can suffer economic damage by deer depredation of cash crops, especially in corn and orchards. Deer can prevent successful reforestation following logging, and have impacts on native plants and animals in parks and natural areas. Deer also cause substantial damage to landscape plants in suburban areas, leading to limited hunting or trapping to relocate or sterilize them.

I kinda agree with DaButt.

And I'm a vegetarian.

But I also think hunters are twats.

Remember a few years ago there was a web site where you could hunt deer from your desk? Some maniac had set up a webcam with a rifle attached, pointing out into deer territory. His excuse was that it let disabled people hunt or something.

Point, click, dead deer. No skill there, just bloodthirst.

Quote: DaButt @ January 8 2011, 4:37 PM GMT

I think non-Americans may not understand just how massive our deer population is. Texas has the largest deer population in the country; the countryside nearby has one deer for every 10 acres of land. I live in a suburban neighborhood and I see deer every night of the year. They jump the 6-foot fence around my back yard and eat my vegetables. I see at least one dead deer on the side of the road every 3 or 4 days on the 2 miles of road near my house.

We have the exact same kind of arguments over here about foxes and fox hunting. Do deer also sneak into houses and steal newborn babies?

Quote: chipolata @ January 8 2011, 4:52 PM GMT

We have the exact same kind of arguments over here about foxes and fox hunting. Do deer also sneak into houses and steal newborn babies?

Only on the Director's Cut of Bambi.

Might be the same arguements, but fox hunting is a very different solution.

I saw a dead fox on the pavement the other day, when I walked back it was gone; I suspect someone took it home for eats.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 8 2011, 5:15 PM GMT

I saw a dead fox on the pavement the other day, when I walked back it was gone; I suspect someone took it home for eats.

You'll have to be a bit quicker next time, Stott.

Quote: chipolata @ January 8 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

You'll have to be a bit quicker next time, Stott.

I'd gone to get a bag to put it in. :(

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 8 2011, 5:27 PM GMT

I'd gone to get a bag to put it in. :(

Pity Bussell wasn't with you. I imagine his pockets permanently stodged with old carrier bags.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 8 2011, 4:46 PM GMT

Point, click, dead deer. No skill there, just bloodthirst.

I don't know if the Web-based hunting schemes ever came to fruition, but I'd say that potential participants would be exhibiting non-blood-thirst. "Real" hunters crawl through piles of biting insects and have to gut and skin their catch. I'd imagine only the faint-of-heart would choose to shoot from a thousand miles away and let someone else butcher their game into neat little paper packets.

Do deer also sneak into houses and steal newborn babies?

I don't know about babies, but I frequently read news stories about deer, bear and mountain lions entering homes.

BENTONVILLE, Ark. - For 40 exhausting minutes, Wayne Goldsberry battled a buck with his bare hands in his daughter's bedroom.

Goldsberry finally subdued the five-point whitetail deer that crashed through a bedroom window at his daughter's home Friday.

When it was over, blood splattered the walls and the deer lay dead on the bedroom floor, its neck broken.

Goldsberry was at his daughter's home when he heard glass breaking. He went back to check on the noise and found the deer.

"I was standing about like this peeking around the corner when the deer came out of the bedroom," Goldsberry said.

The deer ran down the hall and into the master bedroom, he said, "jumping back and forth across the bed."

Goldsberry, about 6-feet-1 and 200 pounds, entered the bedroom to confront the deer and, after a brief struggle, emerged to tell his wife to call police. After returning to the bedroom, the fight continued.

The man finally was able to grip the animal and twist its neck, killing it.

Goldsberry, sore from the struggle, dragged the dead animal out of the house.

"He got kicked several times. He was walking bowlegged for a while," Deputy Doug Gay said.

At this time of year, a buck that sees its reflection in a window often charges, believing it is fighting off a rival, Gay said.

Goldsberry had the deer butchered.

"He's in the freezer," the man said before walking to the kitchen and showing off pounds of freshly wrapped venison.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press

Derren Brown night.

Ooooh I've eaten there.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 8 2011, 9:16 PM GMT

Derren Brown night.

Ooooh I've eaten there.

Where's sooty when you need him?

In your ass?

:P