How long do you give a comedy?

How long do you give a comedy before making a judgement on it? I hate to admit it, but the older I get the quicker I am to wtrite things off. If it hasn't grabbed my attention within five minutes I've already decided it's pap and don't bother with the rest of the series. Indeed, in recent months I've gone one step further and decide if a comedies any good by the blurb. I never even bothered with Gavin and Stacy on the basis that it sounded crap and involved Welsh people. Before long I hope to be able to make an informed decision on the basis of whether I like the title or not.

I usually give things a fair chance, which to me is two episodes, maybe three if I think it shows slight potential. But if it hasn't proved itself by then then I'm done with it.

The opening joke :P

I think it's really important to set the mood and style for the show.

But I really give it 2 episodes if I can. Sometimes come back to it at a later date and find I love it (Arrested Development).

One episode, if it doesn't show any promise.

If I didn't give shows a couple of episodes, I would still hate Green Wing and Not Going Out.
And they are now two of my favourite shows ever.

It's just like albums, sometimes they need a few listens before you really get them.

Two episodes, but I'm sometimes put off if lots of people say it's rubbish.

Yeh I'm the same. I'll give things about two episodes unless its just had loads of bad reviews from people, or unless its really, really terrible.

Two episodes for me unless it just annoys me in which case just one. You can forgive it once but if the second is the same then you can safely say it will carry on disappointing you.

I try and watch as much as possible as I want to write them too. Stuff like Not Going Out didn't tick all my boxes but I still watched them all as its good to know what others like, plus I like Lee Mack's and Tim Vine's stand-up - which it kind of was anyway.

There has only been a few recent ones that I've actually stopped watching.

Many different factors come into play for me. Here's what springs to mind right now though:
Channel
Personalities
Time/date (particularly in comparison to other programmes)
Genre
Style

So it really varies by show. Some I'll sit through an episode or two before deciding it's definitely shit, others I just can't force myself to miss good/better TV for, no matter how they may be in their own right.

I agree with Aaron - for once!

If you've nothing better to do and there's nothing else on you might give it 2 or 3 whereas something else which clashes you may only give 10 minutes.

Stuff I missed out on but caught later includes IT Crowd.

Since the advent of DVD I've missed loads of comedies. I figure if it's any good, I'll just wait for it to be released on DVD, wait for the DVD to be reduced, then watch it on that. I've just done this with Ideal. Having missed it completely, I've only just got round to buying the first series at a bargain basement price from HMV.

Quote: chipolata @ August 7, 2007, 1:49 PM

Since the advent of DVD I've missed loads of comedies. I figure if it's any good, I'll just wait for it to be released on DVD, wait for the DVD to be reduced, then watch it on that. I've just done this with Ideal. Having missed it completely, I've only just got round to buying the first series at a bargain basement price from HMV.

Thats a strange strategy given that humour is subjective and what the whole nation might like isn't necessarily what you may like.

I just watch it for free when its first out so I can decide on it then. Sky+ has certainly helped with this.

I don't do it for everything. But Ideal was only a fiver so I thought, why not? And I'd seen enough clips to realise it wasn't dire. Besides, my problem with a lot of comedy, especially BBC3 comedy, is that it cuts across other shows I know I can bank on and would rather not miss, such as House or Smallville or Studio 60 or any other of the American juggernauts.

Yeah, except it's all repeated about a billion times.

With American shows, I give it 2-4 episodes. With British shows, since your seasons are usually only around 6 episodes, it's usually the very first episode.