First gig 23rd. Brickin' it Page 2

The gigs where the audience guffaws at rape, paedophile and maddy gags. Are the ones you want to stop playing ASAP, ASAP granted maybe months. But don't learn bad habits.

That said my routine has had a joke that involves a small amount of dog sex, it is very small and innocent. I've even performed said joke for parents and kids and they've laughed/applauded.

Maybe the whole dog sex business is more accepted than I thought.

I hardly think that this joke is up there with maddy gags I think your focusing too much on the paedophile aspect and missing the point of the joke entirely

Quote: mathew aspey @ January 22 2012, 2:09 PM GMT

I hardly think that this joke is up there with maddy gags I think your focusing too much on the paedophile aspect

Expect the audience to do the same.

Quite.

Sorry this is all coming from people with a little (and in some cases a lot) of experience on the stage. You might be able to get away with this joke a minute or two into your act, when the audience like and trust you.

Can we all agree on the comedy rap? That's got to be a bad idea, right?

Quote: Badge @ January 22 2012, 3:51 PM GMT

Can we all agree on the comedy rape? That's got to be a bad idea, right?

Ouch yes!

Quote: Badge @ January 22 2012, 3:51 PM GMT

Can we all agree on the comedy rap? That's got to be a bad idea, right?

That depends, is it about paedophiles? Because it's always nice to bookend a set.

I think you're all making the right argument, just not with the right example. It is nothing like a paedo routine.

Isn't that what Gary Glitter puts on, on talent night?

WTF? I think I need to leave this thread. My advice to the OP would be don't do it, and definitely don't open with it - the confusion it's caused demonstrates the risk is too high. But I can't agree that it is a harmful paedo-based routine at all, sorry.

I am also appalled at how so many open mic nights are dominated by people thinking they are edgy, doing hack paedo/rape/incest/etc gags. If you want to stand out, don't touch these subjects. Then again, I don't think the OP actually does. I'm more worried by the rap.

WTF with the WTF?

I do a joke about a man who was arrested for having sex with a bike (a true story) and I make a joke about it being good that it wasn't a children's bike as that would make him a pedalophile.

Now in no way is this joke about child abuse except in the very loosest sense and yet you would be amazed at how many audiences still wince or give an audible "Ooooo" when I do the punchline.

I'd give that joke a rough ride.

Quote: Badge @ January 22 2012, 4:58 PM GMT

WTF? I think I need to leave this thread. My advice to the OP would be don't do it, and definitely don't open with it - the confusion it's caused demonstrates the risk is too high. But I can't agree that it is a harmful paedo-based routine at all, sorry.

I am also appalled at how so many open mic nights are dominated by people thinking they are edgy, doing hack paedo/rape/incest/etc gags. If you want to stand out, don't touch these subjects. Then again, I don't think the OP actually does. I'm more worried by the rap.

I don't think it's a "harmful" joke at, I'm just saying, like it or not, that it's a paedo joke. Without the audience knowing what grooming is there is no joke. No paedos = no gag. You can act like it's a joke about dogs as much as you like but that's not the part the audience are going to respond to.

My suggestion that this might not be the best gag to open with (or tell at all) is based on having seen way too many fledgling comics play the "edgy" card and fall flat on their face. It sounds like you've seen enough of it too. Why would a new comic looking to make a name for themselves want to swim in the same waters as so many others? I say reach for the second joke that comes into your head and see where that takes you.

Again the jokes ok, it's just too early in the act.

I used to have an IRA bicycle, it was terrible. It was an endless cycle of violence.