RIP Ronald Searle

The first British comedy death of 2012 - Ronald Searle, the creator of St. Trinian's, has died aged 91 in hospital in France.

Don't forget Molesworth and the St Custard's gang! RIP.

(Technically, more likely to be the last comedy death of 2011 given that he died on 30th Dec)

Aw. :(
RIP.

Sad he waz a genius

Awfully sad - I had just bought the complete collection of his "St. Trinian's" cartoons recently. I also have a vintage copy of his "The Rake's Progress" and all of the "St. Trinian's" film to date.
I am considering the "St. Trinian's" musical as a future directing project - I hope I will do it justice.
I am sure that the upcoming "St. Trinian's Versus The World" film will do him, proud, honour his memory and introduce his genius to a new generation.
Vale Ronald Searle!

Quote: ToddB @ January 3 2012, 1:05 PM GMT

I am sure that the upcoming "St. Trinian's Versus The World" film will do him, proud, honour his memory and introduce his genius to a new generation.

I didn't know that there was a new film coming out?

Yes - I'm happy to report!

Quote: ToddB @ January 3 2012, 1:45 PM GMT

Yes - I'm happy to report!

We'll have to add it to the guide then.

I'm a big Molesworth fan too. Got 4 books. Was that the lot?

Still not seen the recent St Trinians films but love the old ones.

RIP indeed.

Amazing that he invented St Trinians while a prisoner of the Japanese and drew every day of his captivity. There was an excellent exhibition at the Cartoonists' Gallery a couple of years ago which I'm glad to have seen. He never stopped working, and that's inspiring.

Sad news. Through the wonderful St Trinian's films alone, his work will live on.

Quote: Aaron @ January 3 2012, 6:15 PM GMT

Sad news. Through the wonderful St Trinian's films alone, his work will live on.

However, if all the news reports are to believed, he won't want to be remembered like that as he eventually grew to hate St. Trinian's.

'Hate' is a little strong for the reports I've seen, but the comments of Chappers and Badge above show that's not the entirety of his legacy, just the most well known.

I read Molesworth when I was about 10 or 12. Probably one of the reasons I never made it to grammar school but they were more aimed at kids whereas the St Trinians stuff was more for an adult audience I think although I remember going to see one of the early films when I was about the same age.

If anyone wants to catch up on the classic St Trinians, this is ridiculously cheap!

See Amazon product listing