It Takes A Worried Man

I had not seen this since the original broadcast, but had fond memories of a sitcom brimming with clever lines; thanks to Aaron pointing me in the direction of the DVD, I am finding that not only has it worn well but now that I am having my very own middle aged crisis I can appreciate it at a whole new level.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/22561729/It-Takes-A-Worried-Man-Series-1/Product.html]
[h=254241]

I used to really enjoy this when it was on.

Good idea Timbo - maybe it'll give me some succour too (speaking as a 40-something bloke).

Oh I remember it too, "William and Benjamin!..its Bill and Ben!"... "I thought I was paying for dental work not intricate netskie.(Sp? oriental ivory cravings).."

I wonder how a "passenger" office worker comedy would go down nowdays ..

Quote: sidecar jon @ December 2 2011, 8:42 PM GMT

I wonder how a "passenger" office worker comedy would go down nowdays ..

I can relate to it...

Watching this again it is interesting how it does not conform to sitcom conventions. There is no farce and very little cringe. Roath ("rhymes with sloth") has flaws aplenty but they do not lead him into hilarious, compromising situations; mostly he acknowledges them wryly and gets away with murder. It is also extraordinarily plot-lite, and with more tell than show. e.g. Roath takes a date to a restaurant, we do not see the restaurant, but his date subsequently makes disparaging remarks about the food; a colleague then announces she is going to the restaurant on Roath's recommendation - end of episode.

But it all works; worth being reminded there is more than one approach to sitcom.

Quote: Timbo @ December 3 2011, 9:59 AM GMT

and with more tell than show. e.g. Roath takes a date to a restaurant, we do not see the restaurant, but his date subsequently makes disparaging remarks about the food; a colleague then announces she is going to the restaurant on Roath's recommendation - end of episode.

But it all works; worth being reminded there is more than one approach to sitcom.

Yes indeed. That approach was used a lot in the past. It worked for Hancock, Steptoe & Son, Porridge and Rising Damp, to name just a few of the many sitcoms I remember doing that indirect method of getting a laugh or a pay off.

Have very faint but pleasant memories of ITAWM. Something I wish I'd seen more of at the time. An interesting character IIRC.