B&W UK comedy film - ID required

Hiya,

I'm looking for help identifying a film I saw probably around 20 years ago and it's the only time I've seen it so I am a little hazy on details. It's been bugging me on and off for the last few yesrs or so.

The plot revolves around a girl who lives in a suburban UK town who anonymously publishes a book/diary based about her family life which becomes a massive bestseller. Her parents are understandably dismayed about their lives being laid bare because absolutely everyone is reading it (entire buses of people etc).

I seem to remember it being in B&W (but even this might be wrong) but the feeling I have is that it's probably slightly later than I initially thought - possibly early 50s. It's got the kind of feeling of the Ealing Comedies / Genevieve but *very* slightly more modern.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Could it be 'Educating Marmalade'? made about 1979?, a red haired schoolgirl with freckles and her adventures, very trendy and different.

Hi Dellas,

No that's much too recent I'm afraid.

I think it might be Please Turn Over made in the late '50's

Brilliant! Thanks very much Happychef, reading the synopsis on IMDB that really does seem to be the one! Now to track down a copy

Recently released on DVD.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/17833342/-/Product.html]
[h=793840]

I own a film with the same title.

Not much of a plot though, but to be fair I've not seen more than the first 10 minutes.