Sketch shows

Does anyone else find sketch shows a god-awful form of comedy? Even if the sketch is funny, it's still just a simple joke. Plus almost everyone I meet who fancies themselves as funny tells me they're writing a sketch show. They're not. Funny, that is. They probably are writing a sketch show.

Quote: Jakkifreeze @ October 21 2011, 5:27 PM BST

Does anyone else find sketch shows a god-awful form of comedy?

Of course not. I find god-awful sketch shows god-awful, but I really quite like the good ones.

I love a good sketch show myself. Bit out of fashion at the minute though, aren't they?

Do you not find that it limits the powers of a comedian? I suppose I have a quite romantic view of the comedian, that they can educate as well as entertain.

Depends on how well they do it I suppose. Fast Show did it brilliantly, but sometimes I do feel ripped off if I like something and I only get thirty seconds of it, and some maintain characters but it's basically the same sketch every week.

Quote: Jakkifreeze @ October 21 2011, 6:00 PM BST

Do you not find that it limits the powers of a comedian?

Not really, no; why would it? Depends entirely on the kind of show they're doing. If anything, it means they could explore any idea they want in whatever way they want; look at Mr Show, or The Kids In The Hall, Big Train, Python; the comedians behind these shows were able to go to whatever crazy, or subtle, place they wanted.

Do you not find that it limits the powers of a comedian? I suppose I have a quite romantic view of the comedian, that they can educate as well as entertain.

Not for me. Comedy can be educating or just plain funny as far as I'm concerned. All I care about it how good the writing and performance is, whether that be within the format of a sketch or a longer narrative.

They can, but it doesn't mean that they have to, every time they appear in anything.

I love sketch shows.
Probably my favourite type of Comedy.
There haven't been many good ones for a while, but I hope they don't go out of fashion. Shows such as Morecambe & Wise, Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, Not Only But Also & The Fast Show for example are as good as any sitcoms that were around at the time IMO.

I like sketch shows like Jam, Big Train and some recent American ones but they seem to be disappearing over here.

Disappearing?! It often feels to me like they're the only ruddy thing on. Admittedly panel shows have taken the mantle for now though.

God awful?

Youve clearly never watched A Bit of Fry and Laurie

One of the funniest shows in the history of TV.

Correctamundo.

Don't forget the League of Gentlemen

We're not talking about sitcoms...