The problem with contemporary satire

I'm a great lover of satire, but in contemporary satire I feel there is a major problem. I should also say that by contemporary satire I mean since the 1960s. That problem is that it is not constructive, it mocks often for the sake of mocking, which is relatively easy to do, without giving a vision, or at least an implication, of how things should be done. If one reads the great satirists, Aristophanes, Juvenal and Dean Swift, for instance, then as misanthropic and savage as they could sometimes be, they still left one with some idea of why they were satirising and what their alternative was. They were constructive, indeed they were even what you could call traditionalists.

In Australia for instance there is a TV satirist who produces highly-acclaimed shows every few years called Chris Lilley. In the wild praise of his latest offering it was several times noted how he made piercing satire of our times. Having seen some of his work though I cannot for the life of me find much constructive satire as opposed to mocking caricatures. Surely the surgeon pierces you to remove the cancer and then sow you back up, not just so he has somewhere to leave his scalpel?

Maybe I'm just misreading modern satire and am I missing constructive criticism that I simply disagree with? Is there any 'constructive' satire left? Is this a real problem in modern satire and commentary?

I've decided not to just be a whiner though and am slowly writing some of my own.

The Thick of It is ingenious in laying bare the thought process behind public relation stunts. It doesn't spoof, it actively educates, yet this not being an anarchist transmission, it does so under the guise of gentle mockery.

And the BBC had a show called 'Broken News' which was sly marketed as comedy yet was an oustanding satire on the way news is packaged/worded to incite fear and over reaction.

Social satire comes in all forms, in fact satire is so widespread and common it's not always identified as such. Even 90% of what The Simpsons do is this.

I think satire is in quite a healthy place at the moment and there's a surplus of material to mine for satirical gold.

I haven't see all of The Thick of It, but from what I did see I do not really remember them getting across much of a positive point, except perhaps that PR men and advisors to ministers are wankers. It may have still been funny (I didn't take to it, but that is probably no guide), but I wouldn't say I was knocked over by its satiric insight.

Yes Minister/Prime Minister, was better satire in my opinion. It could have been better, but it took you into the world of Whitehall and left you wondering, if only for a moment, how much power should the civil servants and politicians have, relative to each other; whether those who criticised civil servants, the old boys clubs and so on, really knew what they were talking about.

I have not seen Broken News, I'll try and track it down.

I suppose a related problem to the original one I brought up is highlighted by the example of The Thick of It; namely the limited scope of modern satire. The old satirists tended to have broader areas of human life as their topics. I'd guess it has something to do with one of the big differences between modern satire and that of the past. I do not think it is unimportant that the great satirists were all stern, if sometimes austere, moralists. They were not afraid to give their broad opinions on how mankind should live and how they should behave and I doubt they would have ever tried to hide behind the phrase 'I'm just a comedian' if their political mocking was criticised (as some American 'satirists' and 'comedians', using the terms generously, do).

Even when Dean Swift is mocking the royal society in his fantasy island of Laputa, he manages not only to give a timeless rebuke to technophiles, technocrats and enthusiastic natural scientists, but also (indeed through this) he gives you, alongside a textbook conservative broadside to the rule of technocratic and bureaucratic experts almost 70 years before Burke, the implication that virtue, wisdom and even spiritual growth are far better preoccupations than Utopian dreaming and starry-eyed rationalism. To me this is what satire, indeed all comedy, should do, it should educate you about mankind and about life. Indeed one of the great aspects of satire compared to many other forms of literature is it can be, and should be, didactic.

Perhaps it is because today we don't moralise that we can only mock and cannot satirise.
Or maybe I'm just talking bollocks.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 11 2011, 1:37 AM BST

The Thick of It is ingenious is laying bare the thought process behind public relation stunts. It doesn't spoof, it actively educates, yet this not being an anarchist transmission, it does so under the guise of gentle mockery. And the BBC had a show called 'Broken News' which was sly marketed as comedy yet was an oustanding satire on the way news is packaged/worded to incite fear and over reaction.

Finally another Broken News fan on here. A great show that never really enjoyed the success it should and was sadly cancelled after one series. The same writer also did The Sunday Format, an excellent Radio 4 show parodying weekend broadsheets and the ludicrous supplements they're stodged full of.

Ah, I see, you were aiming higher. This is a good debate to have. V. important to comedy and writers about where one places themselves in the spectrum of boat rocking.

I wouldn't put The Thick Of It up against Gulliver's Travels as a piece of social satire. I think in that context, art holds less of a power (or need) to reform society, much less a glorified sitcom. But I think modern day mickey-taking holds its own, in intellect and accuracy. We need to tinker with our ways, not completely overhaul.

I reckon Swift's targets; politics, physicality, superstitions, morality and whatever else are less of a worry now than the utter chaos of Swift's time. Although considered great work (and it is) it really does belong in its own time. And any modern equivalence can easily stand along side it, it's just that the nature of studying literature based on the limitations or restrictions of its author's climate give it greater kudos than a modern work, which could be easily as searing or provocative.

The bigger the problem, the greater the swipe against it. Nowadays satire may comment on smaller aspects of life; because there's 'more' of life now than then, more awareness, more interactivity, more knowledge, more everything. And as a result, more specific, broken down parts to deconstruct than subjects as broad and general in scope as 'The Monarchy', 'The Government', 'The Citizens'.

Catch 22 and Strangelove skewer war pretty well, Larry Sanders covers the vapid religon of the entertainment industry. There's America: The Book, I've read extracts of The Onion. Even stuff like Colbert, Chris Morris (have you seen his last film?) some Jon Stewart. Even South Park throws a few barbs. Team America may be puppets, but I honestly feel it makes a valid point on a par with Swift. I know that's not the instituational way to think, but self-congratulatory namedrops aside, that's honestly how I feel.

Chuck Palahniuk may be lightweight compared to, say Voltaire, but the points made are still valid. Even some may argue (but not me) that Sacha Baron Cohen is a sharp satirist.

My personal hero Bill Hicks, skewered American foreign/home policy and fundamentalist Christianity with a fierce intellect. Not a case of "Noah's ark doesn't make sense" or "Isn't Bush stupid?" but check out something like the "What does G13 do Tommy?" routine, albeit in stand up, so there was no metaphorical, coded, piss taking, just out and out truths really, which I feel is even stronger than satire in a sense.

A guy saying "this is what happened and it's wrong", as opposed to, "here's a clever allegory to represent what's happening".

Every other newish Star Trek episode contained a metaphor for war and after a while it jarrs. People know the score, so that removes the education aspect of satire and turns it into a slight, sermon to the converted.

I think satire's in a healthy state, although context is enforced, which may make the weight of our targets/attacks less 'profund' than Burke, but we can only satirise what is relevant to our time.

I'm sure a mind like Swift, if around today, would hold opinions on plastic surgery, wars for oil, technology/Internet, corporate greed, media manipulation and celebrity culture as you can only attack what's put in front of you.

Cheers for the chance to stroke my chin and think out loud on this subject. Geek

Quote: chipolata @ August 11 2011, 6:38 AM BST

Finally another Broken News fan on here. A great show that never really enjoyed the success it should and was sadly cancelled after one series. The same writer also did The Sunday Format, an excellent Radio 4 show parodying weekend broadsheets and the ludicrous supplements they're stodged full of.

I loved that show and to be honest I got the impression it was TOO good at what it did and because of this, watching local/national news would never be the same again. Gonna check out if I can find anything on The Sunday Format, I'd never heard of that.

When did "skewer" become synonymous with "deftly satirize"?

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 11 2011, 7:07 AM BST

Ah, I see, you were aiming higher. This is a good debate to have. V. important to comedy and writers about where one places themselves in the spectrum of boat rocking.

I wouldn't put The Thick Of It up against Gulliver's Travels as a piece of social satire. I think in that context, art holds less of a power (or need) to reform society, much less a glorified sitcom. But I think modern day mickey-taking holds its own, in intellect and accuracy. We need to tinker with our ways, not completely overhaul.

I reckon Swift's targets; politics, physicality, superstitions, morality and whatever else are less of a worry now than the utter chaos of Swift's time. Although considered great work (and it is) it really does belong in its own time. And any modern equivalence can easily stand along side it, it's just that the nature of studying literature based on the limitations or restrictions of its author's climate give it greater kudos than a modern work, which could be easily as searing or provocative.

The bigger the problem, the greater the swipe against it. Nowadays satire may comment on smaller aspects of life; because there's 'more' of life now than then, more awareness, more interactivity, more knowledge, more everything. And as a result, more specific, broken down parts to deconstruct than subjects as broad and general in scope as 'The Monarchy', 'The Government', 'The Citizens'.

Catch 22 and Strangelove skewer war pretty well, Larry Sanders covers the vapid religon of the entertainment industry. There's America: The Book, I've read extracts of The Onion. Even stuff like Colbert, Chris Morris (have you seen his last film?) some Jon Stewart. Even South Park throws a few barbs. Team America may be puppets, but I honestly feel it makes a valid point on a par with Swift. I know that's not the instituational way to think, but self-congratulatory namedrops aside, that's honestly how I feel.

Chuck Palahniuk may be lightweight compared to, say Voltaire, but the points made are still valid. Even some may argue (but not me) that Sacha Baron Cohen is a sharp satirist.

My personal hero Bill Hicks, skewered American foreign/home policy and fundamentalist Christianity with a fierce intellect. Not a case of "Noah's ark doesn't make sense" or "Isn't Bush stupid?" but check out something like the "What does G13 do Tommy?" routine, albeit in stand up, so there was no metaphorical, coded, piss taking, just out and out truths really, which I feel is even stronger than satire in a sense.

A guy saying "this is what happened and it's wrong", as opposed to, "here's a clever allegory to represent what's happening".

Every other newish Star Trek episode contained a metaphor for war and after a while it jarrs. People know the score, so that removes the education aspect of satire and turns it into a slight, sermon to the converted.

I think satire's in a healthy state, although context is enforced, which may make the weight of our targets/attacks less 'profund' than Burke, but we can only satirise what is relevant to our time.

I'm sure a mind like Swift, if around today, would hold opinions on plastic surgery, wars for oil, technology/Internet, corporate greed, media manipulation and celebrity culture as you can only attack what's put in front of you.

Cheers for the chance to stroke my chin and think out loud on this subject. Geek

You make some excellent points about the social, and therefore artistic, differences between today and that of the great satirists. As you may or may not have noticed I'm something of a traditionalist, even a raging reactionary, so I have quite a different opinion of the merits and demerits of our current polity, society and culture. I think it is probably better to avoid such 'philosophical' discussions, though I think Dean Swift himself would find much more than minor problems with modern society; I think he'd think it was the end times.

I'm not sure I agree with you that Swift is not a superior literary talent to today's satirists, I think he is definitely the greatest satirist in English literature and there are reasons for thinking the way he used language can objectively support this. I do agree with you that there are definite differences in culture today. I think part of the issue could be simply that most satirists today do, as you suggest, think that only minor changes are needed and I don't and therefore it is me who is looking for strident satire when I shouldn't be. Those of us who do have major problems with contemporary society, or at least the traditional conservatives among us, seem to have lost most of our once formidable (even dominating in the days of Eliot and Yeats, Coleridge and Wordsworth, Swift and Johnson, Shakespeare and Jonson) artistic sensibilities and creativity. We do not usually connect with modern popular culture. I don't connect with a lot of it myself, but satire, comedy, drama and even sitcom are an exception (how coherently though I'm not quite sure).

I actually have either not seen any output of those you mention or not seen much of it. There is certainly more I could do to get to grips with modern satire and will follow up some of those suggestions you gave. I suppose the best way to exorcise my dissatisfaction is to try and write some of my own satire.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 11 2011, 8:50 AM BST

When did "skewer" become synonymous with "deftly satirize"?

Er... In your rush to the keyboard to ask this question you maybe didn't read the rest of the paragraph.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 11 2011, 7:07 AM BST

My personal hero Bill Hicks, skewered American foreign/home policy and fundamentalist Christianity with a fierce intellect...... which I feel is even stronger than satire in a sense.

See that word 'Stronger'? Yeah? See it? Well that maybe means I'm not making a case for synonymity.

If you look closely enough, I'm sure I made some spelling mistakes as well because I type on a small screen. And who knows? Maybe the odd misplaced apostrophe.

Glad you joined in the debate though.
Reminds me why the need for social satire exists.

I would say that it is far easier to mock than to put across a solution. But that's hardly surprising - it's almost always easier to spot that something is wrong than to work out how to fix it.

But even if just mocking, satire can still be good and powerful as it throws a spotlight on what's wrong and points out it is wrong to people who might not have noticed it before. The best satire makes you think and makes you see the world in a different light.

Frankly, I'm not convinced that your 'constructive satire' would necessarily be better - as it would rely on the satirist actually having a better idea and would only be listened to by people who already agreed with his/her better ideas.

e.g. Rory Bremner. He takes the piss out of whoever happens to be in power. He makes some valid points and throws light on absurdities.

Would you listen to him if he was also preaching about what should be done instead? Would you listen to him if he was diametrically opposed to you on the political spectrum as he preached to you with his satire?

Or perhaps the constructive part is just "We shouldn't be doing this" without needing to think of something else to do instead - just pointing out that it shouldn't be done can be enough and powerful on its own.

Slightly dated but here's some satire of my own from a few years back (I forget the exact bit of legislation they were trying to bring in at the time). For me, leaving it at "we shouldn't be doing this" was enough.

Sometimes the 'positive alternative' is to just stop doing something wrong.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 11 2011, 2:28 AM BST

Yes Minister/Prime Minister, was better satire in my opinion. It could have been better, but it took you into the world of Whitehall and left you wondering, if only for a moment, how much power should the civil servants and politicians have, relative to each other; whether those who criticised civil servants, the old boys clubs and so on, really knew what they were talking about.

Yes Minister was a case of a satire with a strong alternative agenda, public choice theory, that has turned out to be more damaging than that which was being satirised.

Perhaps we do not need our satirists to be political theorists; there is something to be said for highlighting absurdity for its own sake. In this vein the Two Johns have been the outstanding political satirists of recent years.

Quote: Afinkawan @ August 11 2011, 2:14 PM BST

I would say that it is far easier to mock than to put across a solution. But that's hardly surprising - it's almost always easier to spot that something is wrong than to work out how to fix it.

But even if just mocking, satire can still be good and powerful as it throws a spotlight on what's wrong and points out it is wrong to people who might not have noticed it before. The best satire makes you think and makes you see the world in a different light.

Frankly, I'm not convinced that your 'constructive satire' would necessarily be better - as it would rely on the satirist actually having a better idea and would only be listened to by people who already agreed with his/her better ideas.

e.g. Rory Bremner. He takes the piss out of whoever happens to be in power. He makes some valid points and throws light on absurdities.

Would you listen to him if he was also preaching about what should be done instead? Would you listen to him if he was diametrically opposed to you on the political spectrum as he preached to you with his satire?

You make a very good point here, you would no doubt go from a case of a seemingly endless stream of apathetic mockers to having a lot of strident, ideological satirists, most of whom would not be listened to by anyone outside their own ideology. I still think that that is probably a preferable situation though. You can always count on finding people to argue for or against almost anything in politics, society and culture (and beyond), but most of us do not give up on any sort of argument because of this. Those whose content or style, preferably both of course, was truly able to transcend merely preaching to the converted would still be worth paying attention to.

Quote: Afinkawan @ August 11 2011, 2:14 PM BST

Or perhaps the constructive part is just "We shouldn't be doing this" without needing to think of something else to do instead - just pointing out that it shouldn't be done can be enough and powerful on its own.

Slightly dated but here's some satire of my own from a few years back (I forget the exact bit of legislation they were trying to bring in at the time). For me, leaving it at "we shouldn't be doing this" was enough.

Sometimes the 'positive alternative' is to just stop doing something wrong.

Again you make a good point. There is a difference between mocking which doesn't even bother to really tell you what is wrong with what is being mocked, let alone the alternative(s), and a mocking that really does inform, or at least imply, what is wrong and why with what is being mocked. A sort of negatively constructive quality, if that makes sense, would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Quote: Timbo @ August 11 2011, 4:27 PM BST

Yes Minister was a case of a satire with a strong alternative agenda, public choice theory, that has turned out to be more damaging than that which was being satirised.

Perhaps we do not need our satirists to be political theorists; there is something to be said for highlighting absurdity for its own sake. In this vein the Two Johns have been the outstanding political satirists of recent years.

You know I never guessed that 'public choice theory' was the foundation for Yes Minister. I always assumed that it was more about making the point that government and the civil service has a large amount of irrational, or at least non-rational, elements and that naive and simplistic idealism and rationalism wouldn't necessarily work. That is interesting.

I guess I see what you mean by satirists being political theorists. I did not quite have in mind satirists being ideologues so much as moralists and cultural critics.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 12 2011, 3:03 AM BST

You make a very good point here, you would no doubt go from a case of a seemingly endless stream of apathetic mockers to having a lot of strident, ideological satirists, most of whom would not be listened to by anyone outside their own ideology...

...Those whose content or style, preferably both of course, was truly able to transcend merely preaching to the converted would still be worth paying attention to.

That would be the trouble - finding someone who can say what they think should be happening without preaching to the converted or being an idealogue would be even rarer and more difficult to accomplish.

On the whole, I prefer people who aren't idealogues. It's easy enough to say 'I'm a liberal' or whatever (for the record, I think of myself as a mildly conservative liberal socialist - I come out somewhere near the Dalai Lama on that political spectrum thingy) and it would be easy to only listen to people who either say what you already believe or attack what you already disagree with. Generally I would prefer to have someone point out absurdities, injusticies and hypocrises wherever they are - even if they exist in the things my opinion tends towards.

Actually - especially in the things my opinion tends towards. If I believe in something/someone I want to know they are deserving of my belief and want to be told if they aren't.

Another thought occurs. A lot of 'satirists' aren't really that, they are comedians who are in the position where they are supposed to be commenting on current events, so one wouldn't necessarily expect them to have a solution to what they are commenting on. You still see the same comedy formulas being employed as when they are talking about any other subject.

I think Pratchett put it quite well - "...and because it was the same shape as humour, people laughed."

Quote: Timbo @ August 11 2011, 4:27 PM BST

the Two Johns have been the outstanding political satirists of recent years.

Oh this. Very much so.

I wish I could find either the clip I had or a YouTube link to them discussing the millennium celebrations in about 1997. Not really much satire but pants-wettingly funny.

I certainly agree with you up to a point. I still think it would probably be better to have a few more of my kind of satirists, than having none of at all and just having all satire being carried out by apathetic mockers. I did have in mind more moralists and cultural and social critics than ideologues. Ideologues don't make great satirists anyway. Marxism may be a sort of satire or parody in itself, but I can't quite imagine a decent satire that strenously tried to embodied Marxist theory.

Preaching to the converted is a major part of all culture and even thought. Some people may use that to not take seriously any projects that try and speak to a broad audience. I'm not quite so sceptical, I think that the greatest examples, in content and style, can still reach out beyond the narrow cliche which it was intended for. Dante and Bunyan were very much writing to a particular worldview, yet one doesn't have to be a Christian (or a Roman Catholic or a Calvinist respectively) to appreciate their major works.

In a sense it might even be better to not have a lot more of the satire I'm talking about. That way when it does come along it will make more an impact.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 12 2011, 3:03 AM BST

You know I never guessed that 'public choice theory' was the foundation for Yes Minister. I always assumed that it was more about making the point that government and the civil service has a large amount of irrational, or at least non-rational, elements and that naive and simplistic idealism and rationalism wouldn't necessarily work. That is interesting.

The central premise was that integrity or altruism are illusional and that politicians and civil servants never truly act in the public interest because they will always put their own interest first.

Antony Jay was a big advocate of the public choice theory agenda.

Quote: Everyone @ August 11 2011, 1:23 AM BST

I'm a great lover of satire, but in contemporary satire I feel there is a major problem. I should also say that by contemporary satire I mean since the 1960s. That problem is that it is not constructive, it mocks often for the sake of mocking, which is relatively easy to do, without giving a vision, or at least an implication, of how things should be done. If one reads the great satirists, Aristophanes, Juvenal and Dean Swift, for instance, then as misanthropic and savage as they could sometimes be, they still left one with some idea of why they were satirising and what their alternative was. They were constructive, indeed they were even what you could call traditionalists.

In Australia for instance there is a TV satirist who produces highly-acclaimed shows every few years called Chris Lilley. In the wild praise of his latest offering it was several times noted how he made piercing satire of our times. Having seen some of his work though I cannot for the life of me find much constructive satire as opposed to mocking caricatures. Surely the surgeon pierces you to remove the cancer and then sow you back up, not just so he has somewhere to leave his scalpel?

Maybe I'm just misreading modern satire and am I missing constructive criticism that I simply disagree with? Is there any 'constructive' satire left? Is this a real problem in modern satire and commentary?

I've decided not to just be a whiner though and am slowly writing some of my own.

The Thick of It is ingenious is laying bare the thought process behind public relation stunts. It doesn't spoof, it actively educates, yet this not being an anarchist transmission, it does so under the guise of gentle mockery.

And the BBC had a show called 'Broken News' which was sly marketed as comedy yet was an oustanding satire on the way news is packaged/worded to incite fear and over reaction.

Social satire comes in all forms, in fact satire is so widespread and common it's not always identified as such. Even 90% of what The Simpsons do is this.

I think satire is in quite a healthy place at the moment and there's a surplus of material to mine for satirical gold.

Ah, I see, you've were aiming higher. This is a good debate to have. V. important to comedy and writers about where one places themselves in the spectrum of boat rocking.

I reckon Swift's targets; politics, physicality, superstitions, morality and whatever else are less of a worry now than the utter chaos of Swift's time. Although considered great work (and it is) it really does belong in its own time. And any modern equivelance can easily stand along side it, it's just that the nature of studying literature based on the limitations or restrictions of its author's climate give it greater kudos than a modern work, which could be easily as searing or provocative.

The bigger the problem, the greater the swipe against it, nowadays satire may comment on smaller aspects of life; because there's 'more' of life now, than then, more awareness, more interactivity, more knowledge, more everything. And as a result, more specific, broken down parts to deconstruct than subjects as broad and general in scope as 'The Monarchy', 'The Government', 'The Citizens'.

Catch 22 and Strangelove skewer war pretty well, Larry Sanders cover the vapid religon of the entertainment industry. There's America: The Book, I've read extracts of The Onion. Even stuff like Colbert, Chris Morris (have you seen his last film?) some Jon Stewart. Even South Park throws a few barbs. Team America may be puppets, but I honestly feel it makes a valid point on a par with Swift. I know that's not the instituational way to think, but self-congratulatory namedrops aside, that's honestly how I feel.

My personal hero Bill Hicks, skewered American foreign/home policy and fundamentalist Christianity with a fierce intellect. Not a case of "Noahs ark doesn't make sense" or "Isn't Bush stupid?" but check out something like the "What does G13 do Tommy?" routine, albeit in stand up, so there was no metaphorical, coded, piss taking, just out and out truths really, which I feel is even stronger than satire in a sense.

I think satire's in a healthy state, although context is enforced, which may make the weight of our targets/attacks less 'profund' than Burke, but we can only satirize what is relevant to our time.

Cheers for the chance to stroke my chin and think out loud on this subject.

You make some excellent points about the social, and therefore artistic, differences between today and that of the great satirists. As you may or may not have noticed I'm something of a traditionalist, even a raging reactionary, so I have quite a different opinion of the merits and demerits of our current polity, society and culture. I think it is probably better to avoid such 'philosophical' discussions, though I think Dean Swift himself would find much more than minor problems with modern society; I think he'd think it was the end times.

I'm not sure I agree with you that Swift is not a superior literary talent to today's satirists, I think he is definitely the greatest satirist in English literature and there are reasons for thinking the way he used language can objectively support this. I do agree with you that there are definite differences in culture today. I think part of the issue could be simply that most satirists today do, as you suggest, think that only minor changes are needed and I don't and therefore it is me who is looking for strident satire when I shouldn't be. Those of us who do have major problems with contemporary society, or at least the traditional conservatives among us, seem to have lost most of our once formidable (even dominating in the days of Eliot and Yeats, Coleridge and Wordsworth, Swift and Johnson, Shakespeare and Jonson) artistic sensibilities and creativity. We do not usually connect with modern popular culture. I don't connect with a lot of it myself, but satire, comedy, drama and even sitcom are an exception (how coherently though I'm not quite sure).

I actually have either not seen any output of those you mention or not seen much of it. There is certainly more I could do to get to gripes with modern satire and will follow up some of those suggestions you gave. I suppose the best way to exorcise my dissatisfaction is to try and write some of my own satire.

Sometimes the 'positive alternative' is to just stop doing something wrong. Yes Minister was a case of a satire with a strong alternative agenda, public choice theory, that has turned out to be more damaging than that which was being satirised.

Perhaps we do not need our satirists to be political theorists; there is something to be said for highlighting absurdity for its own sake. In this vein the Two Johns have been the outstanding political satirists of recent years. You make a very good point here, you would no doubt go from a case of a seemingly endless stream of apathetic mockers to having a lot of strident, ideological satirists, most of whom would not be listened to by anyone outside their own ideology. I still think that that is probably a preferable situation though. You can always count on finding people to argue for or against almost anything in politics, society and culture (and beyond), but most of us do not give up on any sort of argument because of this. Those whose content or style, preferably both of course, was truly able to transcend merely preaching to the converted would still be worth paying attention to.

This