London Open Mics / Open Spots

Can anyone recommend any London-based gigs that AREN'T pay to play or bring a buddy?

Downstairs at the Kings Head seems to be popular with people. I think Comedy Bin is not P2P but doesn't get many non-acts in.

Edit: Comedy Bin is a bringer.

Comedy Bin is dead easy but they ask you to bring 2 friends or help with flyering.

Comedy car crash will let new acts on, but there maybe a wait.

Kingshead good gig, but not so easy for a newbie to get a slot.

Desperately Seeking Stagetime, it's once a month, get there early to sign up on the night.

HOPElessly Funny at The Hope and Anchor (Look for Parachute Productions online)It's every Monday, just email them and they'll put you on. They get a proper audience in too, and name acts popping in every so often to try out new bits.

Quote: sootyj @ August 7 2011, 7:02 PM BST

Comedy Bin is dead easy but they ask you to bring 2 friends or help with flyering.

Comedy car crash will let new acts on, but there maybe a wait.

Kingshead good gig, but not so easy for a newbie to get a slot.

Comedy Bin is a 'Bringer' and Comedy Car Crash is P2P.

Phil, you've got experience as an open spot on a pro linup with Steffen's gig, which I imagine will put you a little ahead of the curve, so I would say email Kings head.

Is Comedy Crash P2P? wasn't last time I gigged there but it was a year ago and I am very funny.

But whats the hangup with paying entrance fee if you're performing?

I mean it is a business. And to be honest how many people think
"woo I really want to see a nervous accountant making jokes about paediphiles and crying"

Most of the people in the audiences are acts or friends of acts.

Don't like it? Get funnier.

Nat is there any of your stuff on YouTube to see/listen too and Joel is there any of yours too that you can hear, tried earlier to listen to some but sound quality really got in the way.

N.B. I didn't bring a friend to Comedy Bin and they let me perform (though they usually ask you to help with flyering)

and King Gong doesn't charge or ask you to bring friends.

Quote: Marc P @ August 7 2011, 11:55 PM BST

Nat is there any of your stuff on YouTube to see/listen too and Joel is there any of yours too that you can hear, tried earlier to listen to some but sound quality really got in the way.

There is another one, Google Joel Soetendorp.

Quote: sootyj @ August 7 2011, 11:57 PM BST

N.B. I didn't bring a friend to Comedy Bin and they let me perform (though they usually ask you to help with flyering)

and King Gong doesn't charge or ask you to bring friends.

There is another one, Google Joel Soetendorp.

Cool, will do tomorrow :) Edit: it is tomorrow! :)

And listen to my videos better you cloth eared sot.

Quote: sootyj @ August 8 2011, 12:02 AM BST

And listen to my videos better you cloth eared sot.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ August 7 2011, 11:52 PM BST

"woo I really want to see a nervous accountant making jokes about paediphiles and crying"

Are you serious? I worry about you.

Amateur though the performers may be, they are providing an entertainment service for free, making performers pay is just a f**king insult. If you can't run a comedy club well enough to cover your own costs then don't f**king run one. New comics spend enough f**king money as it is travelling to the arse end of no where to perform to rubbish rooms in order to improve, without adding a further expense. If you want a paying audience to turn a profit, then promote the gig. If you're running a gig to be honourable and provide stage time to new acts then find a free venue and get a £20 contribution from the landlord (who makes aprox £10 per attendee on the bar) to cover the cost of printing and distributing a couple hundred flyers.

Quote: sootyj @ August 7 2011, 11:52 PM BST

Is Comedy Crash P2P? wasn't last time I gigged there but it was a year ago and I am very funny.

Most of the people in the audiences are acts or friends of acts.

Don't like it? Get funnier.

There's just no need, most places don't ask you to pay to play, but if you really want to toss money away for the privilege of talking for five minutes to eleven people, go ahead!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 8 2011, 12:09 AM BST

Are you serious? I worry about you.

Amateur though the performers may be, they are providing an entertainment service for free, making performers pay is just a f**king insult. If you can't run a comedy club well enough to cover your own costs then don't f**king run one. New comics spend enough f**king money as it is travelling to the arse end of no where to perform to rubbish rooms in order to improve, without adding a further expense. If you want a paying audience to turn a profit, then promote the gig. If you're running a gig to be honourable and provide stage time to new acts then find a free venue and get a £20 contribution from the landlord (who makes aprox £10 per attendee on the bar) to cover the cost of printing and distributing a couple hundred flyers.

Maybe it's a London thing? Most places I know don't get a sub from the landlord and need to pay the headliner.

I view it I'm seeing a show in which I play a small part.

Quote: sootyj @ August 8 2011, 12:14 AM BST

Maybe it's a London thing? Most places I know don't get a sub from the landlord and need to pay the headliner.

If they have a headliner worth giving money too, then they should be promoting the thing properly and getting in a real audience, rather than forcing the acts to cough up.