UK Muslim Comedy Tour Page 2

There's nothing wrong with 'merely' advertising, so long as it's related to comedy.

Hi
Thanks for your comments, You are entitled to your opinion.
If you watch all the videos properly they actually attack the stereotypical views of Muslims, it's comedy, not serious.
Yes my intention is to hopefully advertise to sell tickets so that we can raise more funds.

I am not a comedy expert. I put this show togather to entertain and to raise funds.

The show is clean fun comedy, and I hope you all will enjoy it.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ July 4 2011, 2:00 AM BST

Hi PYCT,

thanks for adressing my points. Just checked out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DOlwLs9unA hoping to eat my own words and to see a routine that wouldn't simply be a checklist of cliched observations and in fact be funny regardless.

And?

Use of the word Muslim 20 seconds in? Check.
Reference to "my white friends" Check.
Crass upper-class accent to immitate "white friends"? Check.
Reference to burkha? Check.
Reference to the P-word? Check.

This was all in the first couple of minutes so I turned it off. Not my thing.

I'm not some stonewall atheist, I just think it's a hack and narrow topic to base a tour around. The UK Catholic Comedy tour would make me feel the same way, as would The UK Sikh Comedy Tour or The UK Buddhist Comedy Tour.

And if you aren't just posting to sell some tickets and promote YouTube channels, and I'm wrong, and you in fact stick around and offer critiques, advice and debates within other threads, then I'll apologise for assuming you're intent on merely advertising.

C'mon there are Jewish comics, black comics, disabled comics, gay comics. Stand-up has always been used by minority groups as a way of introducing themselves to the wider society, defending themselves, reclaiming their name.

Secondly there are also sorts of single issue types using these forums for advertising etc. You're singling out the Muslims but not the Sitcom Trials.

But I think the single issue comics may have had their day. The stuff from these guys I saw online was universally unimpressive and poor. It's hard to believe they'd have done well as more conventional stand-ups.

Quote: PYCT @ July 4 2011, 5:12 AM BST

Hi
Thanks for your comments, You are entitles to your opinion.
If you watch all th videos properly they actually attack the stereotypical views of Muslims, its comedy, not serious.
Yes my intention is to hopefully advertise to sell tickets so that we can raise more funds.

I am not a comedy expert. I put this show togather to entertain and to raise funds.

The show is clean fun comedy, and I hope you all will enjoy it.

1 Which charities is the money going to? (sorry I work for a charity so I'm naturally cynical)
2 They may attack the stereotypical image, do they challenge legitimate concerns? Otherwise that's propagandising.
3 Dude they're not that funny.

Quote: sootyj @ July 4 2011, 9:55 AM BST

3 Dude they're not that funny.

I was with you up until that point. You may not like the Badman character (and having just watched a couple of clips I'm with you all the way) but to say he's not "funny" is only to say "I don't find him funny". The guy has an audience that puts most of ours to shame. Clearly a lot of people find him hysterical, so who are we to pour scorn on his comedy? Sure, say you don't like him and say why if you like, but invalidating others' opinions because they don't match yours rarely leads anywhere good.

Quote: David Bussell @ July 4 2011, 10:52 AM BST

invalidating others' opinions because they don't match yours rarely leads anywhere good.

Hang on, you're attacking the very foundations of the BCG there.

Ok I don't find them especially funny

(who made Bussell the sherrif of comedyville?)

Quote: chipolata @ July 4 2011, 10:56 AM BST

Hang on, you're attacking the very foundations of the BCG there.

I rock the pillars of society daily (for instance, today I'm wearing socks that don't even match).

Quote: sootyj @ July 4 2011, 10:57 AM BST

(who made Bussell the sherrif of comedyville?)

Right now I'm only deputising, but I have plans to shoot the sherrif.

Thanks for all your comments.
Visit www.pyct.org to see the two charities this comedy tour will be raising funds for.

Sorry Jack but that's really unfair. SOME Muslims persecute artists and free speech, many don't and some are killed by other Muslims for promoting free speech.

Comedy amongst other art forms can have a truly powerful voice in bringing differing groups together.

N.B. I agree with who ever said "Hello I am ****, my people do **** and say *****." are boring as hell (in my opinion)

Hi
Thanks hope to see some of you there.

Quote: sootyj @ July 4 2011, 4:59 PM BST

Sorry Jack but that's really unfair. SOME Muslims persecute artists and free speech, many don't and some are killed by other Muslims for promoting free speech.

This comedy tour is being presented in association with the Salam Project. Check out their Facebook pages and Twitter feeds and Google some of the speakers the SP has presented. Their views are sadly predictable: Jews are filth, non-Muslims are filth, get the Crusaders out of Iraq/Afghanistan, the hijab prevents women from being raped, etc.

Comedy is great and so are programs designed to draw young men and women away from lives of violence and crime. That said, such programs need to teach love and respect for all people. If this group can't accept that Jews, Christians, atheists and gays are their brothers and sisters and their equals in every way then they're doing nothing but feeding the very distrust that they claim to be fighting.

Quote: DaButt @ July 4 2011, 6:05 PM BST

get the Crusaders out of Iraq/Afghanistan

Well, they've got a point on that one. What have we achieved over there?

We've killed thousands of terrorists who are trying to kill us in our homes while said terrorists have killed 10x as many innocent Muslims. Funny how that works.

Quote: DaButt @ July 4 2011, 6:22 PM BST

We've killed thousands of terrorists who are trying to kill us in our homes..

..and thousands who weren't, too! The West has been complicit in atrocities, just as the Fundamentalists have..

..and btw.. I haven't found anything by these comedians that makes oi larf. Personally I find something about it too edgy, so far that is. More self-deprecatory stuff is in order imo.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ July 4 2011, 7:08 PM BST

..and thousands who weren't, too! The West has been complicit in atrocities, just as the Fundamentalists have..

Atrocities? There have been perhaps a dozen deaths caused by coalition forces that I can recall that could be construed as atrocities and the soldiers behind them are behind bars.