COMIC: The Talk Page 2

I liked it. Maybe a bit more dialogue in the final frame.

Quote: bigfella @ June 20 2011, 11:54 AM BST

Actually the law of universal gravitation.

A bit different.

I think you need a degree in engineering to get it Cool

Congratualtions, you passed the test. ;)

Errr

It's basically about the dad getting lumbered - the daughter probably knows anyway - and he's telling her a load of rubbish to avoid telling her outright.

Quote: Chappers @ June 20 2011, 4:07 PM BST

It's basically about the dad getting lumbered - the daughter probably knows anyway - and he's telling her a load of rubbish to avoid telling her outright.

Sounds like a cock and bull story.

I thought the last frame was the funniest with him rambling about gravity...that really suited the dad's character. I wasn't sure about the pink heart thingy as it looked out of place. I would have liked the daughter to say something at the end too in response to him, like "that's so gross".

It has potential. I like it.

I've loved some of your other cartoons, I immediately got the reference to the gravity equation being a science nerd, but sorry this one doesn't work for me, the two ideas just don't seem to connect. Sorry.

Cool. Ok I think I'm going to take this back to school and give it another go. Thanks all for looking and giving me food for thought :) Your awesome.

Visually pleasing, Gav, but your choice of jokes/subject matter seem a little hackneyed. I'd like to see you do your animating justice with something more original and specific to the characters you've developed. Just being honest, like.

:)

2 more points:

The daughter looks shocked/scared in the final frame. Shouldn't she be more confused than anything else?

You need to sort out your commas and full stops.

Best wishes
Yac

Quote: Chappers @ June 20 2011, 4:07 PM BST

In that case I don't think it works as a strip, and I don't think it really can unless we have a much bigger build up (a la sitcom) that shows us the relationship of the dad and daughter in more depth.

The alternative of misunderstanding can work well as a strip IMO.

Any of you guys read cartoon strips in the papers? This is better by a Q leap. :)

True. But most are limited to 3 panels, as well as the reader's intellect. ;)

Quote: Marc P @ June 21 2011, 12:33 AM BST

Any of you guys read cartoon strips in the papers? This is better by a Q leap. :)

Marc, if I'd read this strip every day then I would know the characters and it could be great. As a one off it doesn't work as it is, that's all.

Quote: Badge @ June 21 2011, 12:42 AM BST

Marc, if I'd read this strip every day then I would know the characters and it could be great. As a one off it doesn't work as it is, that's all.

Well it doesn't work for you is actually all Mister Badge. The strip here addresses a universal situation/truth and yet beautifully incorporates a newtonian law of physics that you don't actually have to know to get the joke! It is really quite Reithean so the BBC wouldn't buy it nowadays tis true.