The Obligatory Gay Plot Page 3

I actually think Graham Norton is one of the least camp comedians, especially compared to Julian Clary.

I know he uses innuendo, but it's normally straight-general rather then gay themed.

Quote: David H @ June 10, 2007, 6:52 PM

Straight.
If you took all the camp material out of Graham Norton's act, what would be left? He relies so heavily on it.

Anyway, I think there's an over-reliance on gay jokes to get cheap laughs, you don't. Let's call it a draw.

I agree with that, Graham Norton is so much funnier when hes not doing gay jokes but once you get to that stage you have to pander to you're audience. Julian Clary is the worst because he trys to turn every thing into a joke involving his arsehole. However it is as much the audience's fault as it is the comedian. What I want to know is when are Will and Grace going to do an obligatory straight episode?

Quote: David H @ June 10, 2007, 6:52 PM

Extras, by the way, had two gay plots in the first series, then touched on it again in the second series. They only wrote 12 episodes.

I assume you are talking about episodes 5 and 6 with Samuel L. Jackson and Patrick Stewart respectively. There is no doubt that episode 6 was a "gay plot", but if you think that episode 5 was too, I think you missed the intention. That was about a lonely man seeking comfort from someone, not gayness.

good points i think i the point about julian clarey and graham norton is true they do rely on on gay jokes but on the other hand eddie murphy early stnad up relies a bit on being afro carribean

being of the pink persuasion myself i understand what is said here but if poeple laugh then your are going to go down that road.

i think when its lightheated like it was in frasier it was cool but when it like julian clarey it gives you ring sting

but then you never see a disabled guy making disabled jokes do you?

why is that ?
how come noone has ever done a diabled plot

BBC Three did. I think there aren't many disabled comedians because its harder for them to do a jokes in a way which is empowering unlike black or gay comedians. I'm not saying it can't be done but black and gay comedians use comedy as a way to change society's view and in turn their position in society. Disabled comedians are not exposed to the same hateful prejudices, the prejudices are more subtle. Also it is unlikely that their comedy can change their situation in the same way as black/gay comedians because they will always have their disablilty but black/gay may eventually not have to live with homophobia/racism.

Quote: ajp29 @ June 14, 2007, 12:18 PM

but black/gay may eventually not have to live with homophobia/racism.

i would love to belive that i think it was always exsist as soceity needs some sort of pecking order to pick on peeps who are different

i mean dont you thinks its bizzare that gay poeple can have civil partnerships

but its rare you see to men holding hands or showing public affection towards each other?

if im drunk i accidently kiss my partne

sorry about the tangent

Society is in general a c**t. I don't like most aspects of it but especially the prejudices. I can't understand how people think that its OK to be prejudice yet can't understand why people are prejudiced against them or think that noone has a right to be prejudice against them. The most depressing thing is seeing people who pass their stupid view to the next generation. I hate that. Also its wierd how men hate the thought of gay sex but are quick happy to watch a man ejaculate as long as there is a woman present, isn't that kind of gay? In short society sucks. I'm just glad I live in London, its not perfect but its a lot better than most other places.