How do you write?

Hello all! How are you?

I am interested in how you all write? Do you do it at home or somewhere else. I find it difficult to turn my brain off so I can write whenever EXCEPT WHEN I want to! Weird I know.

Do you listen to music or in complete silence? And do you set aside set times?

Just curious really...

Usually when a bill needs paying, I find that inspires me.

I have a regular writing routine each day, then I might write for a little bit longer each week in new jobs come along. And I've never been one who works with the telly or radio on. I have to have it quiet, with regular breaks to piss around on the internet.

Hello there.

I think things up inside my head first, let them develop (still inside my head), then after careful analysis I put them down on to a notepad. No set time as such as I find that rules and regulations stifle creativity.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ March 11 2011, 11:00 AM GMT

Hello there.

I think things up inside my head first, let them develop (still inside my head), then after careful analysis I put them down on to a notepad. No set time as such as I find that rules and regulations stifle creativity.

I agree with this. I have this whole little brainstorm of indecipherable scribblings on some graph paper whilst sat on the loo. I then lie awake for hours during the night trying to put it in some sort of order then moan at the wife in the morning about being tired before pouring orange juice on my rice krispies

Depends which genre. But chaotically is probably the honest answer
If its comedy, then I collect ideas/headlines as the week progresses in the hope that something will flower before 11.59am on a Monday or 4.59 the next day. Or in the case of Sitcommission something which could be sent by 10.30 on the closing date.
If its straight storytelling, I too tend to try and think things out first but wouldn't say I did any careful sifting. Its a question of getting stuff down on paper and seeing where it goes within the general framework of where I'm trying to get my characters to. The downside of this is that I do end up having to do some reverse engineering to work out why character 1 has arrived at W when they should have gone to X via T. But I spend a lot of time reading and rereading to iron out the snags, spot the spelling and grammar howlers and to try to make sure that the characters don't act inconsistly. Again a lot of ideas come from stuff that I've read in the paper seen on the news or even playing out 'what if' scenarios from actual events. And one day I might even let someone else read them!

Quote: sean knight @ March 11 2011, 11:09 AM GMT

I agree with this. I have this whole little brainstorm of indecipherable scribblings on some graph paper whilst sat on the loo. I then lie awake for hours during the night trying to put it in some sort of order then moan at the wife in the morning about being tired before pouring orange juice on my rice krispies

Ooh, cheeky!

I like to Dictaphone ideas and dialogue and if I'm working with someone else bounce ideas off them but generally I write the first draft very quickly and work on script editing slowly from there.

When I have to knuckle down, I have a half-hour sandtimer next to my desk. I alternate half an hour of forcing myself to write with half an hour of being allowed to goof about. I find this useful for getting started, and also for the final stretches of long days; often I'll be on a roll when my 'forced' half hour is up and will keep going until I run out, then turn the timer over for my half hour 'reward' time!

Deadlines are a great motivator. Spider solitaire also gives a space to think the plot through!

Personally I go to bed with an idea then let the voices argue it out, I then write what they tell me thankfully I never actually carry out their requests. Eh?

Quote: Dicksplash @ March 14 2011, 1:33 PM GMT

Personally I go to bed with an idea then let the voices argue it out, I then write what they tell me thankfully I never actually carry out their requests. Eh?

I've always wondered why such a high percentage of people who hear voices tend to do what those voices say.

Thanks for the replies guys! What about standups? Do you practice in front of the mirror etc? I tend to walk around the field behind my house reciting my set and any new ideas. Strange but true! haha

I am writing very slowly today! :(

I find that using a keyboard to form words is an absolute must. Thereafter,
it is critical to get the words in an order that allows a reader to gain an
understanding of the intended communication that those words hopefully impart.
Do not read anything into this post as I am fairly sure that it fails to achieve
the very objective of that which I reccommendd.

Quote: Stephen Birch @ March 23 2011, 12:58 PM BST

I find that using a keyboard to form words is an absolute must. Thereafter,
it is critical to get the words in an order that allows a reader to gain an
understanding of the intended communication that those words hopefully impart.
Do not read anything into this post as I am fairly sure that it fails to achieve
the very objective of that which I reccommendd.

Haha I've not been on here for ages and that made me really laugh haha