New Manager

Topical, ish. Your feedback appreciated, especially whether or not the football references are okay for non-football fans (I think the names are well-known enough) and on the other side of the coin, whether the footie bits are appreciated by footie fans. Or anything else for that matter.

I should state that I am not an Ipswich fan, by the way. But I'm not not one either.

NEW MANAGER

A FOOTBALL CLUB CHAIRMAN'S OFFICE. THE CHAIRMAN BECKONS IN HIS CHIEF EXEC.

CHAIRMAN:
Sit down Colin, sit down. As you know there's never been a more important decision for Ipswich Town Football Club.

CHIEF EXEC:
Yes Mr Chairman, and that's why I've made a shortlist of the best available managers...

CHIEF EXEC ATTEMPTS TO HAND A PIECE OF PAPER TO CHAIRMAN WHO DISMISSES IT.

CHAIRMAN:
Don't worry yourself with lists, Colin. I've been watching Sky Sports News. In HD. We need to take our lead from Liverpool.

CHIEF EXEC:
Really sir?

CHAIRMAN:
Come on, it's obvious when you think about it! The future is the past! Tomorrow is history!

CHIEF EXEC:
Mr Chairman?

CHAIRMAN:
Do I have to spell it out Colin? Liverpool want league success and look backwards to Kenny Dalglish. So I'm going to offer our job to... Alf Ramsey!

CHIEF EXEC:
What?! Quite apart from the fact he's dead, Sir Alf...

CHAIRMAN:
(INTERRUPTING) Plain Alf, if you please. I don't want any of his unsuccessful post-knighthood record.

CHIEF EXEC:
...but... but... Alf wasn't even our most successful manager! That was Sir Bobby Robson.

CHAIRMAN:
I know. And that's why I'm inviting Bobby (BEAT) to be Alf's assistant.

CHIEF EXEC:
But he's dead as well! Have you gone mad?

CHAIRMAN:
Of course I know they're dead, Colin - I'm not an idiot! That's why I'm also appointing the legendary medium Doris Stokes, to communicate the tactical genius of our erstwhile management gurus to our first team squad. Apart from goalies, I'll do that myself.

CHIEF EXEC:
(BAFFLED) Unless I'm mistaken, Doris Stokes is dead as well.

CHAIRMAN:
Precisely why I'm also making Derek Acorah off of Most Haunted our Technical Adviser. He'll be given free reign to communicate with Doris, who will in turn send the tactical prowess of Alf and Bobby direct to the team.

CHIEF EXEC:
Doesn't sound all that direct...

CHAIRMAN:
You can't have too many layers of communication in a modern football club, Colin. Write that down! On second thoughts, get someone else to write it down and get them to ask someone to pass it on.

CHIEF EXEC:
Right.

CHAIRMAN:
You don't seem convinced? Okay, here's plan B. How about getting Roy Keane back? I hear he's growing another beard.

CHIEF EXEC:
I'll get the Ouija Board.

END.

Didn't get the Roy Keane reference but otherwise this is saleable and excellent. Thumbs up. Or is that handball?

Cheers Godot.

Keane's just been sacked by Ipswich, if that helps?

Yeah, but the beard, man...

That's pretty good.

Excellent

Cheers all - this is turning into a confidence booster.

Godot, re Keane - there's a school of thought that his sanity is inversely proportional to beard length (e.g. he went wild and bushy at Sunderland and simultaneously lost the plot).

Excellent stuff! With Hodgson, Keane and the rest in the news (not just the sports news) I reckon a lot of non-footie fans would get it: the soccer fans deffo will! Very "Ron Manager", and a great effort.

Now, let's just hope David Gold doesn't read this forum...! :) ;)

Another fan here Badge.

Thanks Trollheart and Gerry!

I liked it too Badge. Being very picky I think you can do without the reference to most haunted. People will either know Derek 'lying faker' Acorah or they won't.

I'm an avid football fan and a bit of a Roy Keane aficionado (well, fan really) and I've never heard the beard thing before. He almost always has a beard. He did grow his hair long back in the 90s during that period he went a bit mental and was drinking heavily.

It made me laugh, I liked the 'cant have too many layers of communicatiion' bit, and the ref to Roy Keane was good. Liked the ludricous air to it.

Quote: Don P Musey @ January 12 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

I'm an avid football fan and a bit of a Roy Keane aficionado (well, fan really) and I've never heard the beard thing before. He almost always has a beard. He did grow his hair long back in the 90s during that period he went a bit mental and was drinking heavily.

Had he the beard at the Japan/Korea World Cup? I don't seem to remember it...