Why Bananas?

Is there a reason why people on panel shows are given bananas to eat?

I don't know if this is the reason, but if you eat a banana apparently it stops you from needing a wee. Maybe that's why? So people don't need to run off to the toilet during a recording. They also have potassium in them, which is meant to be good for the brain. (Makes you more alert, so I guess on a panel show, it makes you quicker, maybe.)

I can vouch for that.

Back in the 50s on 'What's My Line' I well remember Lady Isobel Barnett habitually munching on a banana.

Rolling eyes

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 10 2011, 1:40 AM GMT

I've not noticed this phenomenon, please give examples.

Michael Mcintyre on Chris Moyles Quiz night (series 3)
David Walliams Chris Moyles Quiz night (series 2)
Ed Byrne throws on at Dara O Briain in Mock the Week.

I think it is a case of 'all else fails result to physical comedy'; I am looking forward to the episode of QI series I where Stephen Fry slips on Alan Davies' carelessly discarded banana skin before being hit in the face with a custard pie by Phil Jupitus.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 11 2011, 11:08 AM GMT

Michael Mcintyre on Chris Moyles Quiz night (series 3)
David Walliams Chris Moyles Quiz night (series 2)
Ed Byrne throws on at Dara O Briain in Mock the Week.

Interesting observation. However, on the basis of three shows out of thousands aired over the years, are we to accept that this is 'de rigeur' in panel show land?

The banana could be used by a member of the panel who, when they say something funny and its being appluaded, could peel the banana and take an indulgent bite. This would, in my opinion, beat the time-honoured, yet dull, reaction of the smug panel-member taking a drink of water and, at the end of the applause, nodding sagely, yet humbly.

They are cheap, and come with their own wrapping?

Quote: zooo @ January 11 2011, 12:44 PM GMT

They are cheap, and come with their own wrapping?

But enough about Phil Jupitus and Alan Davies...

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 10 2011, 1:40 AM GMT

Ha, odd question!

Possible they just eat a bananna for energy (they can be in the studio for hours), but - as is said above - probably because there's then some opportunity for some jokes too.