Good comedians in bad comedies Page 2

Yes well I think it must have worked better in that film because American toffs don't seem as up their own arses as ours do, imo. Although I remember PF having a tinge of 'self' satire about it, sending up the privileged Oxbridge crowd all or most of the actors themselves came from. It may have been wanting to criticise the elite in some minor way but they were all so clearly in it themselves! It was hard to watch because the yuppieness and cosiness of it all tbh.

Eric Idle in loads...

James Cotter in... ;) :D

Mark Heap in Spaced.

Although he's more of an actor, but eh.

I nominate the entire cast of Spaced. All coming together, delivering great performances to tight, well written material. What were they thinking?

Quote: Griff @ December 16 2010, 10:28 AM GMT

Yes that's exactly what they were thinking they were doing.

Emphasis on the 'thinking'.

Quote: Griff @ December 16 2010, 10:28 AM GMT

Yes that's exactly what they were thinking they were doing.

There's my boy!

Ronnie Barker in that cringingly unfunny vehicle he wrote for himself. Cecil? or Cedric or something? My name memory's buggered.

Clarence. Pretty awful it was, from what litle I saw. His own judgment of what people found funny wasn't that great, his own material was distinctive but a bit of an acquired taste really.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 16 2010, 10:54 AM GMT

Ronnie Barker in that cringingly unfunny vehicle he wrote for himself. Cecil? or Cedric or something? My name memory's buggered.

Clarence. Pretty awful it was, from what litle I saw. His own judgment of what people found funny wasn't that great, his own material was distinctive but a bit of an acquired taste really.

Around the turn of the century, the BBC and Fox Network were planning to remake the series for an international audience, starring Hugh Laurie and the Queen Mother.

It was to be retitled 'Clarence House'.

:( Did you write the draft for it?

Quote: Leevil @ December 16 2010, 2:00 AM GMT

James Cotter in... ;) :D

Eh? A half compliment.

Whats your favourite romantic fantasy?

Quote: Leevil @ December 16 2010, 2:00 AM GMT

James Cotter in... Leevil;) :D

Talk about the casting couch!

Rik Mayall in Minder 2009. It's a comedy drama which I quite enjoyed but no where near good enough for Rik or good enough to beat the original.

Anyone in a Carry On film after 1973.

Roberto Benigni in the toe curling holocaust comedy Life is Beautiful.

And of course Rowan Atkinson in the infantile vomit gurning fest known as Mr Bean.

Quote: youngian @ December 16 2010, 12:55 PM GMT

Roberto Benigni in the toe curling holocaust comedy Life is Beautiful.

A wonderful film. A real 'must see' for anyone who believes the Nazi concentration camps can't be hilariously funny when given the correct, utterly respectful comedic treatment.