What are you listening to now? Page 1,422

I like Little Steven and the Disciples, in fact I think it was last year that my son met him in Matthew Street and went into the Cavern with him as he was playing a dinner time set as he had always wanted to play there.
For me its period and the people the generic compound that comes together to create the initial sound after that whoever comes along no matter how accomplished is sort eft emulating rather than revolutionising.

Depeche mode - enjoy the silence

Top tune , they started off as a piss poor pop outfit and in the end became a really decent act , showmanship talent and great writing.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 18th September 2020, 9:48 PM

I like Little Steven and the Disciples, in fact I think it was last year that my son met him in Matthew Street and went into the Cavern with him as he was playing a dinner time set as he had always wanted to play there.
For me its period and the people the generic compound that comes together to create the initial sound after that whoever comes along no matter how accomplished is sort eft emulating rather than revolutionising.

I know what you mean.It's good to see top musicians acknowledge the Beatles as much as us punters.

If I had to pick two albums by Beatles one would be Some Time New York City as I love the angst and the back drop and Wings greatest hits would keep me whistling all afternoon long. And while they are as diverse as you can get they show the input to everything that had preceded them.

We are going to have to disagree on Some Time..... I think it's awful.Yoko was a bad influence,had no talent and dragged him down to her level. IMO :)

I understand completely as a lot of the tracks are political rather than musical but at the time it seemed like the world was on fire so taken in that context I like it more for its relevance to the late 60's early 70's zeitgeist.

I think it is total and utter f**king shit. Imagine and Plastic Ono Band are masterpieces, Mind Games and Walls and Bridges come close, and then... The first three, Some Time and Rock n Roll are more interesting as concepts than execution, and the final two are surprisingly mediocre by his standards. George was the most accomplished solo artist, but even he faded after a while.

OK.John knew the world is unfair and wanted to do something about.But I'm still sorry I bought the record :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 18th September 2020, 10:56 PM

We are going to have to disagree on Some Time..... I think it's awful.Yoko was a bad influence,had no talent and dragged him down to her level. IMO :)

Well she manages to wind everyone up even now, and she bonked John Lennon, so she was doing something right.

Its as subjective as comedy Micheal and it reminds me of a time and a place so I love it and thats all that matters my end. I can see why you think its shit though, for me it has a back story. Even this year during the troubles in the USA I read the words of Angela Davis and all I think about was the song. So more memory than music truth be told but I still love it.

Very generous of you Michael.

Yeah! It's like the Spice Girls. I like Mel C for her talent, charisma, musical commitment, ability to combine respect for the fans with the need for privacy, taking care of her health and setting a positive example to fans instead of giving in to the usual stereotypes of arrogance, excess and vulgarity; my dad likes Geri cos tits.

I agree about Wings though. They're always written off but there are some real gems in there.

I think we can all agree that this is a .........er....classic.

Following yesterday's conversation, I have returned to Some Time in New York City with extensive historical commentaries. It is indeed a fascinating document of a fervid political period, and the John Sinclair anecdote is an inspiration. I hasten to add that I don't give a f**k, f**king music's still total and utter f**king shit.