What are you listening to now? Page 1,401

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnYw4EwYGc

Like a bit of CT myself

And yes, as you say Horse - what is she singing about?

It's a mystery

Give us a f**king clue love!

Who cares? She's lovely.
This might make more sense.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th June 2020, 8:53 PM

Quick reply to a previous Horse post.You must have misunderstood my Foghorn Williams remark.I was only echoing comedy duo Eric and Ernie,meaning no disrespect to a composer I listen to a lot.

Jeff Lynne refused Foghorn Leghorn. He said, Don't bring me down.
People who bought a ticket for the cancelled McCartney gig are being offered a Celine Dion concert. It's like going to see the Rolling Stones and getting One f**king Direction.

The Clash - death or glory

He who has a romantic candlelight dinner for two with a nun will surely murder her afterwards.

I love Joe Strummer.

Yep, I got it wrong (while also weirdly getting life spot on). Sorry folks. I feel ever so embarrassed. I didn't think I could come back. It is a bit like Lady Pat Hewitt was just before she scarpered off to look after her father who was a power figure turned 100 and who is probably now 115. She came back quietly when he was 103 to lord it over the Norfolk NHS. Which is precisely why for all I love about Cromer - that idea of Stephen Fry skipping out of the pier with hundreds of bow tied men while we sup on our pints - my family background tells me in East Anglia I'm a Suffolk tractor man at heart.

Apologies all round. Wave

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th June 2020, 8:53 PM

Quick reply to a previous Horse post.You must have misunderstood my Foghorn Williams remark.I was only echoing comedy duo Eric and Ernie,meaning no disrespect to a composer I listen to a lot.

No - you and I are fine.

We like each other. :)

RVW is my classical music God but not my only God. It's also Delius. I am a promoter of Ruth Gipps who lived less than a mile from me and was done down because she was a woman. My promotion on social media has led to more recordings as I did it incessantly over a decade. I like Sam Coleridge Taylor a lot as succeeding as a black man against the odds and being from Croydon. I love Gordon Crosse as an avant gardist . He is so challenging but his music crossed my path in primary school at 11 and we were wonderfully recorded onto vinyl. I love Villa Lobos and Ramirez from Latin America. I'm keen on the French impressionists. A fair few largely oddball Eastern Europeans and Scandinavian's wet my whistle. And I also much to my surprise have a strong leaning to composers from the United States but there was fun in the discovery,

I will tell you the truth about this. I was sick to the back teeth of what pop music had become. I went as is my way into internet classical music circles blindly. I admitted I knew nothing. Many were pompous. Some were nice and encouraging of me. Sadly, some of my favourites died. But I let the good ones pull me up by the boot strings, knowledge wise. I got banned several times by those who wouldn't. It was a fraught journey. Whatever, I recognised that I was building on my British and world music leanings and I'd never go for the Haydns, Handels etc. I was always going to be a dunce there and anyhow they weren't my thang. So I majored on what people didn't know and on rare occasion I got positive feedback.

I came to realise quickly that if I was to be classical music man too, I would be 20th Century classical music man, and that did include a lot of experimental innovation. I like a lot of wacky stuff but not the musically destructive. What I really started to adore was the decade 1910-1920 which is in my opinion the equivalent to the Beatles in the 1960s for popular music. And there was a lot of British in that although not exclusively. I am so pleased I did it. So, hey, now you know!

The GREAT Ruth Gipps who was ignored so brutally and whose resurgence is largely down to my efforts since 2010, It is not even as if she was a weakling. She was a feisty, difficult, person who rightly complained a lot about her treatment in writing from just beyond the trees I see through my living room window. Her time has come - oh yes, I know I did help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6-S_CNRAtQ

The full biography, love her, including on the bigoted discrimination:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Gipps

So here we go then.

This stood out to me immediately. I just knew with its clear structural clean lines that it was unique. Its minimalism predates Philp Glass and Co which makes him a total original - and quietly influential - which I like. Yep. He was an Eastern European who escaped to Britain to be British. He felt constrained over there by fascism and Communism. Ironically - or maybe not because dire circumstances reveal themselves most elegantly in art - his most approachable work was when he lived there, having to wear a mask just to get on buses. It was almost as if he had turned angrily on what he escaped from afterwards so he became musically more difficult whereas when stuck there he could only try to reach out and find a unique beauty. And, man did he achieve that in a really special way. His early music blows my mind.

This is an acquired taste. There are genetics in it. One hears it when of a sensitive disposition. I could hear the great Tim, for example, in the even greater Jeff Buckley. They hardly knew each other. It was like twins. In their blood. I hear aspects of rock in Panufnik though in an un-obvious way, almost as if the progressive rock had been pared down to indie. It is so wonderful and it is about time Britain truly embraced him as one of our best. His daughter, Roxanna, is a true British citizen and is pretty fantastic and not dissimilar in her own right. They are pretentious as hell but I love this British family. I genuinely believe that at his best, as here, Andrzej Panufnik is one of the great British classical composers of all time.

Word of warning - unlike my good self and don't dare disagree - he does ludicrous though just about acceptable liberal elongation within a tight post conservative and social democratic framework, while taking it all up to the utterly ethereal.

It's RVW meets Bowie, is it not?

I could cry with uneasy ecstacy over its encapsulation.

Andrzej Panufnik - "Sinfonia Elegiaca":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YZbj47HXfU Wave

he does ludicrous though just about acceptable liberal elongation within a tight post conservative and social democratic framework, while taking it all up to the utterly ethereal.

It's RVW meets Bowie, is it not?

Haven't got a clue :) but I like listening to it.
It is modern classical but with lots of romantic era stuff.

This is an interesting modern piece.The composer uses actual bird song in the music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNPiUuU58Y

I hope he paid the bird.
What do you call a cross between the Clash and One Direction? Green Day.

Nah!

They are shit. Their Clash cover is like Britney Spears doing the cult. I've been called that. Horrendous.

Dookie is a fine album.

Lot of people like them,not me though.
Plastic punks.

What do you get if you cross Coldplay, Keane, Elbow and the Killers?

The death of music forever and ever

It's over people

End of

Full stop

Final.

Nails.

In coffin.

Fin