The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 98

Quote: the word girl @ March 24 2011, 8:22 AM GMT

Nope. It's not, least not for me. I already work as a writer and scriptwriter. It's my career. I know I'm a good writer across a number of genres, and I have faith in my abilities. However, this was one of my first forays into sitcom writing, and I want as much pertinent feedback about it as possible in order to progress. It's not just about the winning, guys. :)

Well said Word Girl. My sentiments entirely. I would like to know where I came in the ranking as well because if my script was not considered to show promise I would start again in another direction. Rejection is not nice but it's something we have to take on the chin if the work is going to be successful. Feedback and criticism is important in helping develop the writer. Going around with rose tinted glasses on isn't going to get work published. There are a lot of good writers out there and I want to be one of them.

P.S. Just a thought - but could this anti-position stance be a gender thing? Huh?

Maybe it's better to think that you came bottom of the pile. Therefore you have to concentrate on improving your script as much as possible. If you came 33rd then you might think "well I'm almost there" and only (bear in mind I said might) put a little more effort in thinking that you've nearly cracked it.

The laziness and complacency can wait until you've got a couple of successful series behind you, put all your effort in now.

Quote: sean knight @ March 24 2011, 10:08 AM GMT

Maybe it's better to think that you came bottom of the pile. Therefore you have to concentrate on improving your script as much as possible. If you came 33rd then you might think "well I'm almost there" and only (bear in mind I said might) put a little more effort in thinking that you've nearly cracked it.

The laziness and complacency can wait until you've got a couple of successful series behind you, put all your effort in now.

That thought has struck me before. I go with the 33rd thing only if you really, really need affirmation.

Simon and Dec are just two guys with their own opinions prejudices. Pick any combination of two other judges and you would get a different final thirty two each time. So places and positions are not really relevant outside of what they did. There criteria could have nothing to do with the quality of your script that didn't make it. Mine wasn't picked so I know this to be true :) What is more important now is Hat Trick are going to be reading and picking the last eight with Simon and Declan. And out of those one of them is going to get the opportunity to work on developing up a script and get paid some wedge to do it. Susie don't let random ranking put you off writing, develop your OWN critical self awareness of your work. It's what successful writers need. But as to Simon and Declan naming and blaming - up to them I guess. I don;t think they have the time to get into feedback on that many scripts though to be honest, and if they post a list and it lays them open to that - then I guess they won't do it.

Rejection is a bitter pill to swallow - we all know that. But the grief doesn't last forever, and pretty soon writers have it all boxed into a perspective and crack on, renewed. I'm confident that my entry to Sitcom Mission this year was better than my entry for last year (there may be parameters within the genre I still don't grasp, but I feel I learned from last year's failure)

I'd be prepared to take another knock to my self esteem should the longer list be published, knowing I that will bounce back and return for next year, regardless.

The blog seemed to indicate that Simon and Declan were open to persuasion on publishing the longer list, and I for one would regard it as useful information to gauge where I sit, currently, in the league table - and move on from there.

So the King's dead, eh? Long live the King!

Quote: andyblacksheep @ March 24 2011, 9:42 AM GMT

I'm not sure what you're getting at here - that's a show that's run for 5 series and is very popular with its target group. Are you saying that this ISN'T a successful show, or that it's a show you personally don't like (I'm guessing you're not in the target group though)? Or that as the pitch for this successful show came through Writer's Room, WR therefore has some successes?

Sorry, the point was hit rate. How many thousands of scripts go in? how many make it through to the screen? I know that some people don't get produced but do get picked up by the process. However, my personal view, and it's just that, a prospective writer could better direct their efforts to towards getting an agent rather than hoping the interns in the BBC cellars will make them a star.

BTW, are you in the MI High demographic?

Quote: Susie @ March 24 2011, 10:03 AM GMT

Well said Word Girl. My sentiments entirely. I would like to know where I came in the ranking as well because if my script was not considered to show promise I would start again in another direction. Rejection is not nice but it's something we have to take on the chin if the work is going to be successful. Feedback and criticism is important in helping develop the writer. Going around with rose tinted glasses on isn't going to get work published. There are a lot of good writers out there and I want to be one of them.

P.S. Just a thought - but could this anti-position stance be a gender thing? Huh?

Ah, another well made point! Is it a girl vs. boy thing? Are there any boys who agree with us?

Declan and Simon are just two blokes with a subjective opinion, I think we all get that point, but if we want to write for an audience at some point we have to come out of hiding and find out what that audience actually thinks.

I suspect we who think we should see the 200 list are swimming against a rather large tide here though...

Quote: sarahbean @ March 24 2011, 12:33 PM GMT

Ah, another well made point! Is it a girl vs. boy thing? Are there any boys who agree with us? Declan and Simon are just two blokes with a subjective opinion, I think we all get that point, but if we want to write for an audience at some point we have to come out of hiding and find out what that audience actually thinks. I suspect we who think we should see the 200 list are swimming against a rather large tide here though...

If you're that desperate to find out what Simon and Declan think of your work pay to go on one of their thingymabobs.

i think they should just publish the list to stop people endlessly going on about it. the ones who aren't interested don't HAVE to read it if they don't want to. I don't think my attempt probably made the list and amen't that bothered but if it makes 150+ people feel better then its probably worth it, and will put an end to the debate (until they want to see the top 300 of course).

Quote: KLRiley @ March 24 2011, 11:59 AM GMT

Sorry, the point was hit rate. How many thousands of scripts go in? how many make it through to the screen? I know that some people don't get produced but do get picked up by the process. However, my personal view, and it's just that, a prospective writer could better direct their efforts to towards getting an agent rather than hoping the interns in the BBC cellars will make them a star.

BTW, are you in the MI High demographic?

Oh, gotcha, that makes sense. No, I'm not in the MIH demographic - actually I write for a number of CBBC shows so I get a bit defensive if someone seems to be saying something is 'just' a kids show!

Quote: andyblacksheep @ March 24 2011, 12:43 PM GMT

Oh, gotcha, that makes sense. No, I'm not in the MIH demographic - actually I write for a number of CBBC shows so I get a bit defensive if someone seems to be saying something is 'just' a kids show!

CBBC is just kids shows isn't it? Pleased

Quote: sarahbean @ March 24 2011, 12:33 PM GMT

Ah, another well made point! Is it a girl vs. boy thing? Are there any boys who agree with us?

Declan and Simon are just two blokes with a subjective opinion, I think we all get that point, but if we want to write for an audience at some point we have to come out of hiding and find out what that audience actually thinks.

I suspect we who think we should see the 200 list are swimming against a rather large tide here though...

I'm a boy (in heart if not in age) and I completely agree with you Sarah! Of course a competition shortlist is to a degree subjective, but I think that any feedback is helpful and so if Declan and Simon are prepared to put up the long list then surely this can only help? If people do not want to know then their blog could have a big heading along the linse of: "Don't read this blog if you don't want to know the results!" like you used to get on the news before they showed the football results (and then read them out almost immediately anyway...).

But a list is only useful if it tells you anything and I can't see what this one will reveal that's of any use. Two people liked your script a bit better than 900 others. Probably a good chunk of the 900 are no-hopers, so maybe it means two people liked it a bit more than 'some' others. So unless you know you've written trash you are either in the 200 or not and either way you know it's only two guys' opinions.

In my humble...to publish the 'also rans' can only do more good than harm. For those of us that are really quite new to this writing carry on, it may offer a bit of encouragement (for those that aren't so new too) but not to appear on that list is hardly going to stop someone writing. If it were to - then there will be another 'reason', just around the corner, for those people to stop writing.
I don't think, if you have a desire or passion to write, nothing anyone says will stop you from writing but maybe a little ego boost will encourage someone to write more...which is always going to be a good thing.
For myself the first thing I had completed was my entry into last year's Sitcom Mission...I was convinced I would win!...it was 'flawless', it was 'hilarious'...it was my 'baby'. In reality...it couldn't be staged, it had no plot, the characters weren't different enough, one from the other, and it wasn't going anywhere. I entered again this year...this time in the form of a sitcom!...was it better? - yes. Did it get into the last 32? - No. If I were to see it wasn't in the 'also rans' would I stop? - certainly not!
People will always look at things in different ways...how do you define 'success'?...is it a credit on a TV or radio sitcom?, a paid for one-liner? or the fact that we, each of us, completed and entered a script that nobody else in the world could have written the way we did?
I may never sell anything, I may never have my sitcom read by anyone beyond Simon and Declan...but that is the thing...it's MY sitcom. I 'own' it...I have characters that I invented I put them in situations that I have chosen...that, surely, by any definition is a success and one that anyone who entered this competition shares.

I'm a freelance professional illustrator, have been for twenty years. I often do an art sample, same as other competing artist trying for the same job. Some jobs I get, some jobs I don't. If I cried about not getting a job I wouldn't be much cop at the process, or being a grownup. The same rule, I'm sure applies here. If not getting on the last 200 list is going to make you doubt yourself/writing talent, well maybe it's for the best you romanticise about something within your emotional range and give all around you a break. First rule at the beginning of most creative processes: Do it for yourself...unless of course, you are making love!:) :)